Contribute
Register

Can't find a way to boot from usb for clean Catalina Installation. Help Needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pls help I have talked too early after multibeast first my network card doesnt worked i boot again now my system doesnt pass the Gigabyte screen nothing works I messed up my system, I plugged my old high sierra ssd it doesnt work too nothing changes i cant pass initial GIGABYTE screen
boot with your working usb installer to boot macOS

boot with your working usb installer to boot macOS

Hello again

Thanks for your (both you and Leesureone ) reply and your help, I booted the system with the USB installer now i can boot the system.
But unfortunately, my boot sequence have a problem that I can't manage to handle. Please help me to manage it, it seems rocket science for me.
Now I have 2 separate SSD's.
One has High Sierra installed ( the old one). And the new one which has Catalina on it.
And I have 2 scenarios:

1. When I connect my old High Sierra SSD and boot system.

-If I untouched keyboard (press F12) it boots to "Realtek pci etc.."

-If i press f12 and select 2nd entry on the menu it boots to High Sierra . Other entries take me to "Realtek pci.." screen.

HS_boot-menu.jpg

also my bios entry screens are as follows:
HS_bios1.jpg

HS_bios2.jpg

When I connect my new Catalina SSD and boot system

-If I untouched (press F12) it boots to realtek pci etc..

-If i press f12 and select 6th or 7th entry option it boots to Catalina. Other entries take me to Realtek pci screen.

Catalina_bootmenu.jpg

And When i connect my new Catalina SSD here is my bios boot menu:

Catalina_bios1.jpg

Catalina_bios2.jpg

I know maybe I attached a lot of information, but I'm desperately needing help and don't know the technical terms to express my problem.

Now I’m wondering how to manage this problem I am afraid to take action to make changes in bios boot menu, to turn things more catastrophic.

I want to use my new Catalina without interrupting to boot menu also I want to be able to use High Sierra installation if there will be some sort of need some time.

My kids and I use this pc all the time we have separate 3X1TB HDD to save our documents stuff. Its important for us to make this pc work again.

Thank you for your time again I really really appreciate all your help and effort.

I am desperately waiting for your ideas.

Thank you all again.

Hello again

Thanks for your (both you and Leesureone ) reply and your help, I booted the system with the USB installer now i can boot the system.
But unfortunately, my boot sequence have a problem that I can't manage to handle. Please help me to manage it, it seems rocket science for me.
Now I have 2 separate SSD's.
One has High Sierra installed ( the old one). And the new one which has Catalina on it.
And I have 2 scenarios:

1. When I connect my old High Sierra SSD and boot system.

-If I untouched keyboard (press F12) it boots to "Realtek pci etc.."

-If i press f12 and select 2nd entry on the menu it boots to High Sierra . Other entries take me to "Realtek pci.." screen.

View attachment 528762
also my bios entry screens are as follows:
View attachment 528763

View attachment 528764

When I connect my new Catalina SSD and boot system

-If I untouched (press F12) it boots to realtek pci etc..

-If i press f12 and select 6th or 7th entry option it boots to Catalina. Other entries take me to Realtek pci screen.

View attachment 528765
And When i connect my new Catalina SSD here is my bios boot menu:

View attachment 528766

View attachment 528767

I know maybe I attached a lot of information, but I'm desperately needing help and don't know the technical terms to express my problem.

Now I’m wondering how to manage this problem I am afraid to take action to make changes in bios boot menu, to turn things more catastrophic.

I want to use my new Catalina without interrupting to boot menu also I want to be able to use High Sierra installation if there will be some sort of need some time.

My kids and I use this pc all the time we have separate 3X1TB HDD to save our documents stuff. Its important for us to make this pc work again.

Thank you for your time again I really really appreciate all your help and effort.

I am desperately waiting for your ideas.

Thank you all again.
Question, can you now boot without the USB drive? Either way you are going to need to do some work on your bios boot entries. I'm tempted to tell you to go nuclear and clear you NVRAM. That would start you out fresh with minimal boot entries to choose from but it could also have you end up with no entries which could be difficult for you to recover from. Let's go the cautious route which will involve some trial and error on your part.

It looks like you have duplicate and or non-bootable choices you can disable in the boot menu in the bios. Once you are sure which entries boot arrange them in the order you want them available, if you want Catalina first make it the default choice, if its High Sierra then make that the default choice instead. It pretty much explains how to do that in the second screen shot you posted on the right side of the screen using the + and - keys. Also any of the boot choices you should be able to click on and change the selection from whatever is available to disabled.

Once you do that it should clear what you are booting.

Question, can you now boot without the USB drive? Either way you are going to need to do some work on your bios boot entries. I'm tempted to tell you to go nuclear and clear you NVRAM. That would start you out fresh with minimal boot entries to choose from but it could also have you end up with no entries which could be difficult for you to recover from. Let's go the cautious route which will involve some trial and error on your part.

It looks like you have duplicate and or non-bootable choices you can disable in the boot menu in the bios. Once you are sure which entries boot arrange them in the order you want them available, if you want Catalina first make it the default choice, if its High Sierra then make that the default choice instead. It pretty much explains how to do that in the second screen shot you posted on the right side of the screen using the + and - keys. Also any of the boot choices you should be able to click on and change the selection from whatever is available to disabled.

Once you do that it should clear what you are booting.
Yes, I now can boot without USB drive. I believe that 3 of UEFI boot entries are the 3 X 1TB HDD's which are I still leave unplugged.

And I am curious and clearly ignorant about these stuff, but does it change the boot sequence entries of the bios, everytime I change the SSD ( High Sierra and Catalina) ?

I tried to connect both SSD together in order to find out maybe it will boot automatically but bios again stuck to boot so I did the USB drive boot again to reach the pc.

Is there a safe way to do this boot sequence editing. I mean may I save the current sequence to file or something like that. ( in order if I mess everything up)

Yes, I now can boot without USB drive. I believe that 3 of UEFI boot entries are the 3 X 1TB HDD's which are I still leave unplugged.

And I am curious and clearly ignorant about these stuff, but does it change the boot sequence entries of the bios, everytime I change the SSD ( High Sierra and Catalina) ?
Usually yes

I tried to connect both SSD together in order to find out maybe it will boot automatically but bios again stuck to boot so I did the USB drive boot again to reach the pc.

Is there a safe way to do this boot sequence editing. I mean may I save the current sequence to file or something like that. ( in order if I mess everything up)
No but usually all you would have to do is change an entry if it wasn‘t to your liking. Having five hard just makes it seem more complicated

Usually yes

No but usually all you would have to do is change an entry if it wasn‘t to your liking. Having five hard just makes it seem more complicated
OK I will try to correct the squence order. If I make the sequence work correctly,and someday if I wanted to turn back to high sierra built (remove the catalina SSD and connect the High Sierra one ) I would have to correct the sequence for the High Sierra one am I right?

and Is it ok to leave 3 X1 tB Hdd s out for now . Will there be new problems when I will connect them .

OK I will try to correct the squence order. If I make the sequence work correctly,and someday if I wanted to turn back to high sierra built (remove the catalina SSD and connect the High Sierra one ) I would have to correct the sequence for the High Sierra one am I right?

Yes
and Is it ok to leave 3 X1 tB Hdd s out for now . Will there be new problems when I will connect them .
You can leave them unconnected, once you hook them back up it will probably change the boot order around again is all

Yes

You can leave them unconnected, once you hook them back up it will probably change the boot order around again is all
ok I will update the results soon. thanks again

OK I will try to correct the squence order. If I make the sequence work correctly,and someday if I wanted to turn back to high sierra built (remove the catalina SSD and connect the High Sierra one ) I would have to correct the sequence for the Hig
Usually yes

is it possible to connect both drives (HS and Catalina SSD 's ) without interrupting PC booting and select the system to boot athe beginging , I mean I tried it and it refused to pass the initial screen, yhen I booted it again with the USB drive. Why is it refusing I mean halted the whole system.

Did you install multibeast on your hard drives? That's how you created the USB drive right? You would need to repeat that same process but choose one of your SSDs or HDs instead, otherwise it won't boot, you'll be stuck using the flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back