Contribute
Register

Can't find a way to boot from usb for clean Catalina Installation. Help Needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello everyone,

I got a working system with High Sierra with these specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
i7-4790K
GT 740
16 gb ram
500 gb ssd
3x 1TB WD HDD

I wanted to make a clean Catalina install with a brand new SSD. I made an installer usb stick. Unplugged my High Sierra SSD and 3 X 1TB HDD's. And plugged my new SSD to the system and restart to install and after boot F12, I had the boot options menu but none of it worked. Whatever I choose It keeps send me to realtek PCI GBI family.... I attach my boot screen and Realtek PCI screen to the post.
I don't want to loose my High Sierra installation incase of an option to return back.
Is it possible to boot my installation USB, without the High Sierra SSD and with new SDD attached.
I know I espressed it bady and complex.
Thanks from now, I hope you can help me.

Attachments

• scrnn1.jpg
    scrnn1.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 48
  • scrnn2.jpg
    scrnn2.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I got a working system with High Sierra with these specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
i7-4790K
GT 740
16 gb ram
500 gb ssd
3x 1TB WD HDD

I wanted to make a clean Catalina install with a brand new SSD. I made an installer usb stick. Unplugged my High Sierra SSD and 3 X 1TB HDD's. And plugged my new SSD to the system and restart to install and after boot F12, I had the boot options menu but none of it worked. Whatever I choose It keeps send me to realtek PCI GBI family.... I attach my boot screen and Realtek PCI screen to the post.
I don't want to loose my High Sierra installation incase of an option to return back.
Is it possible to boot my installation USB, without the High Sierra SSD and with new SDD attached.
I know I espressed it bady and complex.
Thanks from now, I hope you can help me.
Yes, that should be no probelm. It looks like your bios isn't finding your USB boot drive and defaulting to try t a network boot inserted (which you can turnoff btw). That seems to indicate your USB drive was not set up correctly. How did you create the install media and then mount the EFI partition? Are you using the same boot files as on your High Sierra drive?

Yes, that should be no probelm. It looks like your bios isn't finding your USB boot drive and defaulting to try t a network boot inserted (which you can turnoff btw). That seems to indicate your USB drive was not set up correctly. How did you create the install media and then mount the EFI partition? Are you using the same boot files as on your High Sierra drive?
Hi thanks for the quick respone, I made it with my 2012 macbook pro, I downloaded Catalina installation form appstore and make a usb with unibeast 10.3.0.
I can make a new one with my High Sierra system, would it work better?

Hi thanks for the quick respone, I made it with my 2012 macbook pro, I downloaded Catalina installation form appstore and make a usb with unibeast 10.3.0.
I can make a new one with my High Sierra system, would it work better?
It shouldn't make a difference really but it's worth trying. You can also use EFI Agent (search for it and download) to mount the partition of your High Sierra hard drive and then copy the EFI folder to the mounted EFI partition of your USB Catalina install drive.

It shouldn't make a difference really but it's worth trying. You can also use EFI Agent (search for it and download) to mount the partition of your High Sierra hard drive and then copy the EFI folder to the mounted EFI partition of your USB Catalina install drive.
before copying I take screenshots of my USB stick, there shows EFI folder, should I delete EFI and EFI-Backups folders from usb first

Update **** I attached my efi agent screen too

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 22.51.24.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 22.51.24.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 22.51.47.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 22.51.47.png
    181 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 23.03.51.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 23.03.51.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
before copying I take screenshots of my USB stick, there shows EFI folder, should I delete EFI and EFI-Backups folders from usb first

Update **** I attached my efi agent screen too
Your EFI folder is in the wrong location, you have it in the main partition of the USB drive and that is a fail. Also notice there is no EFI partition for your Sandisk USB drive In EFI Agent. I’m thinking you formatted or set up the drive incorrectly…it’s why your bios can’t see the bootable portion of your USB drive, there isn’t one.
Did you set Unibeast up as Legacy maybe? Also there is no reason to have Unibeast files on the USB drive. Start over and follow the guide on how to set up the drive

Your EFI folder is in the wrong location, you have it in the main partition of the USB drive and that is a fail. Also notice there is no EFI partition for your Sandisk USB drive In EFI Agent. I’m thinking you formatted or set up the drive incorrectly…it’s why your bios can’t see the bootable portion of your USB drive, there isn’t one.
Did you set Unibeast up as Legacy maybe? Also there is no reason to have Unibeast files on the USB drive. Start over and follow the guide on how to set up the drive
I chosed UEFI Boot Mode in the Unibeast setup I will do the usb installer again in my x86 High Sierra system may be it will change this time. Thank you very very much again I will write the result.

Last edited:
Done the USB installer again this time it worked. I installed Catalina to the new drive flawless. Thanks for all your support, I really really appriciate it a lot. My all best regards.

Done the USB installer again this time it worked. I installed Catalina to the new drive flawless. Thanks for all your support, I really really appriciate it a lot. My all best regards.
Glad that worked out

Glad that worked out
Pls help I have talked too early after multibeast first my network card doesnt worked i boot again now my system doesnt pass the Gigabyte screen nothing works I messed up my system, I plugged my old high sierra ssd it doesnt work too nothing changes i cant pass initial GIGABYTE screen

Attachments

• 20210912_014938.jpeg
    20210912_014938.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back