Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 5748 - Clover Legacy
CPU
i5-4210U
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Hi all, Starting off with my first Hackintosh. I am having problems straight away thing to create the USB using unibeast. I have a iMac 2009 running El Capitan. I can't download any of the OS's using the App store. They are not listed and even if i use direct link. I get an error that the version won't run on this computer. I Am able to download .dmg files from apple support site but https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 but i don't know how i can get unibeast to recognise this as valid. Anybody able to help me? Please.

Hi all, Starting off with my first Hackintosh. I am having problems straight away thing to create the USB using unibeast. I have a iMac 2009 running El Capitan. I can't download any of the OS's using the App store. They are not listed and even if i use direct link. I get an error that the version won't run on this computer. I Am able to download .dmg files from apple support site but https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 but i don't know how i can get unibeast to recognise this as valid. Anybody able to help me? Please.

EDIT: Sorry - just read you said it won't run on your iMac.:banghead:

Can you attach your destination drive to the iMac? Maybe a caddy or USB enclosure etc?

If so then open the InstallMacOSX.dmg and copy the InstallMacOSX.pkg to Downloads then run it. When the drive selection box comes up, choose the external Hackintosh drive. (Taking care you select the right drive etc).

If that doesn't look right then don't go any further...

:)

but i don't know how i can get unibeast to recognise this as valid. Anybody able to help me? Please.
First open the .pkg file and run the installer. Then find the installer in your Applications folder as a single ”Install” file, such as Install macOS Sierra. After that you'll need to use the createinstallmedia method or Unibeast which may or may not work. I haven't tried it with one of the .pkg files yet. See the directions with screenshots here:

For example, for Sierra use terminal and the following command. Make sure to change MyVolume to the name of your macOS extended Journaled formatted USB.
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately if fails at first step. When I run the installer it gives me the following error. "This version of macOS 10.12.6 cannot be installed on this computer."

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately if fails at first step. When I run the installer it gives me the following error. "This version of macOS 10.12.6 cannot be installed on this computer."

Well you haven't told us what your Hackintosh hardware is, so it's difficult to advise, but ...

How about creating an El Capitan UniBeast installer and using that to build your Hackintosh? Depending on what components you are using this could be problematic, and you might need to spoof a different CPU type, but if you can get that running then it's easy enough to change the system-definition of your Hackintosh if necessary to obtain a newer version of macOS and go forward from there.

Anyway, update your hardware profile with information about the components you are using. (It's a part of the Site Rules :thumbup: ).

Last edited:
Well you haven't told us what your Hackintosh hardware is, so it's difficult to advise, but ...

How about creating an El Capitan UniBeast installer and using that to build your Hackintosh? Depending on what components you are using this could be problematic, and you might need to spoof a different CPU type, but if you can get that running then it's easy enough to change the system-definition of your Hackintosh if necessary to obtain a newer version of macOS and go forward from there.

Anyway, update your hardware profile with information about the components you are using. (It's a part of the Site Rules :thumbup: ).

Sorry, I haven't decided what hardware to use yet as i have access to lots of different components and devices. I just wanted to get the usb ready. I will try El Capitan as its the only version of macOS i can get with my IMac. I will update the hardware profile next week when i get started on this. Thanks for your advise so far.....

I will update the hardware profile next week when i get started on this.
You'll need to use a build that is Skylake or older to install El Cap. Don't try with Kaby or Coffee Lake systems as El Cap has no support for them.

You'll need to use a build that is Skylake or older to install El Cap. Don't try with Kaby or Coffee Lake systems as El Cap has no support for them.

I got a Dell Laptop from Haswell generation. I was thinking of using it. Anything i should look out for? It has the below spec.

Intel Core i5-4210U processor
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce 840M
Dell Wireless DW1705 WLAN

I got a Dell Laptop from Haswell generation. I was thinking of using it. Anything i should look out for?
Read the Laptop FAQ section first and then post in El Capitan Laptop Support to get help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back