Contribute
Register

Can't complete High Sierra installation - Asus Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a screenshot of trying to restart from the installer in verbose mode, and also my EFI/CLOVER folder from just after that (if that has anything.) I don't know if you'd be able to tell anything useful from this about why it's freezing on restart.

Attachments

• screenshot 18-10-18.jpg
    screenshot 18-10-18.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
  • CLOVER.zip
    2 MB · Views: 60
I got a screenshot of trying to restart from the installer in verbose mode, and also my EFI/CLOVER folder from just after that (if that has anything.) I don't know if you'd be able to tell anything useful from this about why it's freezing on restart.

Is this the coffeelake freeze on shutdown/restart/etc?
If so, you might have to do what I did on my NUC8...
I used a different computer to do the install, then physically moved the SSD from the other system into my NUC8.
There is a fundamental problem with restart/shutdown (and even SysPrefs->Startup Disk) or with a process that happens just before it, that really prevents you from making it through the install process.
You might check for a BIOS update, as I suspect this is BIOS related.
Also, update Clover as your misc/preboot.log shows not the latest RehabMan build.

Unfortunately I don't have access to another computer that I could put my SSD in.

I will see if I can update my BIOS and update my Clover. I was just hoping there was some configuration of Clover or some files that I was missing that would solve the problem.

Unfortunately I don't have access to another computer that I could put my SSD in.

I will see if I can update my BIOS and update my Clover. I was just hoping there was some configuration of Clover or some files that I was missing that would solve the problem.

You could start by installing to a USB external, then booting it with Clover.
Eventually, you could clone to internal SSD (using CCC).

Ok, so. I downloaded and installed El Capitan on a separate thumb drive, because that is the highest version I can use my MacBook Pro to install. I also remade my install USB drive with the latest version of Clover and the El Capitan installer. I changed the model ID to MacBookPro11,4 since that should support El Capitan. I can boot into clover just fine, but when I try to boot into either my installer USB or my already-installed USB, all I get are a row of plus signs and nothing else. I searched for solutions to the row of plus signs but nothing seems applicable. I've attached my CLOVER folder.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2 MB · Views: 52
Ok, so. I downloaded and installed El Capitan on a separate thumb drive, because that is the highest version I can use my MacBook Pro to install. I also remade my install USB drive with the latest version of Clover and the El Capitan installer. I changed the model ID to MacBookPro11,4 since that should support El Capitan. I can boot into clover just fine, but when I try to boot into either my installer USB or my already-installed USB, all I get are a row of plus signs and nothing else. I searched for solutions to the row of plus signs but nothing seems applicable. I've attached my CLOVER folder.

You're certain your flash drive is USB2?

The drive I installed El Cap onto is a 3.0 drive. My Clover/Installer drive I can't tell.

The drive I installed El Cap onto is a 3.0 drive. My Clover/Installer drive I can't tell.

Use USB2 unless you're planning to start fixing USB3.

I bought two new 32GB USB 2.0 drives. I remade my CLOVER EFI/Install Mac OS X El Capitan on one, and copied my bootable El Capitan drive to the other. Both still freeze at one row of plus signs when I try to boot them.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2 MB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back