Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all, i've successfully installed Mavericks via unibeast installation, then ran multibeast and finally...no bootloader at all!!!
All information concerning my sandy bridge laptop is written on my profile; here's what I've done so far:

0) gpt (guid) partitioned my hdd throught disk utility with 5 partitions:
0) 200 mb efi partition
i) hfs+ for mavericks
ii) ntfs for windows 8
iii) exfat data partition
iv) ext4 partition for linux
v) linux-swap partition
1) installed windows 8 on ntsf partition (Note: in my laptop's bios there is a "uefi boot support" option; i had to enable it otherwise windows installer would not let me install windows on a gpt hdd)
2) installed mavericks through unibeast (mantaining that "uefi boot support" enabled)
3) installed multibeast mavericks edition (which as you know among the other things also installs chimera)
4) rebooted without usb

Now it can seem strange but what I get as long as there's no usb plugged in is:

1) windows booting as if no other os was installed (with "uefi boot support" enabled)
2) nothing but flashing screen, like before when the hdd was blank ((with "uefi boot support" disabled))

I've tried to install chameleon via standalone installer but no luck, and also I don't have any boot0 problem, since nothing appears, just windows 8 or a blank hard disk; I've also played with the bios settings.
I've also tried on the same hdd but mbr partitioned via unibeast with patched OSInstall.mpkg but the result is the blank hdd.
Thanks for the attention, any help really appreciated.

Hello all, i've successfully installed Mavericks via unibeast installation, then ran multibeast and finally...no bootloader at all!!!
All information concerning my sandy bridge laptop is written on my profile; here's what I've done so far:

0) gpt (guid) partitioned my hdd throught disk utility with 5 partitions:
0) 200 mb efi partition
i) hfs+ for mavericks
ii) ntfs for windows 8
iii) exfat data partition
iv) ext4 partition for linux
v) linux-swap partition
1) installed windows 8 on ntsf partition (Note: in my laptop's bios there is a "uefi boot support" option; i had to enable it otherwise windows installer would not let me install windows on a gpt hdd)
2) installed mavericks through unibeast (mantaining that "uefi boot support" enabled)
3) installed multibeast mavericks edition (which as you know among the other things also installs chimera)
4) rebooted without usb

Now it can seem strange but what I get as long as there's no usb plugged in is:

1) windows booting as if no other os was installed (with "uefi boot support" enabled)
2) nothing but flashing screen, like before when the hdd was blank ((with "uefi boot support" disabled))

I've tried to install chameleon via standalone installer but no luck, and also I don't have any boot0 problem, since nothing appears, just windows 8 or a blank hard disk; I've also played with the bios settings.
I've also tried on the same hdd but mbr partitioned via unibeast with patched OSInstall.mpkg but the result is the blank hdd.
Thanks for the attention, any help really appreciated.

If your Windows is installed UEFI, it will take precedence over any legacy bootloader (such as Chimera/Chameleon). Use your BIOS hotkey to select boot device and choose your HDD in non-UEFI.

If you have Windows installed legacy, it could be boot0 problem: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Ok, so I did a little mistake during installation; I didn't run
Code:
gptsync /dev/sda
before installing windows, that's why it wasn't possible to install in a GPT partition without UEFI boot support.
Indeed I tried since following your guide here http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/...indows-8-mac-os-x-lion-and-ubuntu-multi-boot/ but for some reason it didn't work so I passed over.

Anyway my problem remains because aside from UEFI and dual or triple boot even if I try to install Mavericks to the entire hdd without UEFI the result is the same, blank screen and nothing happens; also i tried (just for sport) the
Code:
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
trick, but then the terminal says no such file.
Thanks for helping.

edit: the error while attempting to do gptsync was
Code:
gptsync: GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk.

Ok, so I did a little mistake during installation; I didn't run
Code:
gptsync /dev/sda
before installing windows, that's why it wasn't possible to install in a GPT partition without UEFI boot support.
Indeed I tried since following your guide here http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/...indows-8-mac-os-x-lion-and-ubuntu-multi-boot/ but for some reason it didn't work so I passed over.

Note that my guide you linked, is not a guide to installing OS X and making it work. It is just a guide to juggling multi-boot.

Anyway my problem remains because aside from UEFI and dual or triple boot even if I try to install Mavericks to the entire hdd without UEFI the result is the same, blank screen and nothing happens; also i tried (just for sport) the
Code:
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
trick, but then the terminal says no such file.

If you're getting the bootloader showing, there is no reason to attempt the boot0 fix.

A blank screen after installing OS X is not uncommon as you need to troubleshoot/enable your graphics device properly. At that stage, always boot "-v" to troubleshoot.

Enabling HD3000 graphics can depend on your chipset (is it 6-series or 7-series) and your screen resolution.

edit: the error while attempting to do gptsync was
Code:
gptsync: GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk.

Start over. Follow the steps. Print them out if you need to and check them off as you go.

A blank screen after installing OS X is not uncommon as you need to troubleshoot/enable your graphics device properly. At that stage, always boot "-v" to troubleshoot.

I see but maybe I didn't explain my problem properly, so let's clarify my situation: without unibeast usb plugged in, it behaves like if you try to boot a blank hdd, so I can't even try to boot verbose because nothing appears and I can't do anything.

I see but maybe I didn't explain my problem properly, so let's clarify my situation: without unibeast usb plugged in, it behaves like if you try to boot a blank hdd, so I can't even try to boot verbose because nothing appears and I can't do anything.

Did you install a bootloader? Is there an error message?

I ran multibeast, this is the .mb file I used. Then rebooted and blank hdd (no error messages, anything) while if I plug in unibeast usb everything works fine...I don't know why probably there's a problem with my laptop

Attachments

• Tentativo con multibeast.mb
    3.6 KB · Views: 183
I ran multibeast, this is the .mb file I used. Then rebooted and blank hdd (no error messages, anything) while if I plug in unibeast usb everything works fine...I don't know why probably there's a problem with my laptop

I'm not sure what you mean by "blank hdd"?

but you might want to refer here, because I don't think your MB settings will work: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html

There are lots of reasons your BIOS may not be able to boot from your HDD:
- BIOS doesn't like booting legacy with GPT drive (try creating a hybrid MBR/GPT by adding one FAT32 partition, or install the bootloader to the EFI FAT32 partition)
- you may not have an active partition
- your active partition does not have a valid PBR (partition boot record)
- could be boot0 issue, see: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html
- you might need pure MBR for BIOS to boot to GPT drive (see here for how to install GPT, then convert to MBR: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...e-i7-2600k-hd3000-ml-10-8-2-a.html#post520519)
- incorrect BIOS settings for legacy boot to HDD
- etc.

Edit: http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back