Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
[SOLVED] Can't boot with dual monitor setup on GTX970

Hi All,

I have the following components running Yosemite 10.10.1

Asrock Z97 Anniversary
16GB RAM
Xeon E3 1231 (so no HD Intel integrated graphics)
SSD Samsung EVO 256GB
Gigabyte GTX970 4GB
2 x Dell 2407 connected with DVI (DVI for both)
Setup is running latest NVIDIA Drivers for 10.10.1 + CUDA drivers

Scenario A - NVIDIA drivers not used (moved outside the S/L/E folder for troubleshooting)

Booting with 2 screens connected
only one screen is detected
MacOS boots up and I can login
Resolution is ugly (expected)

Scenario B1 - NVIDIA drivers installed and 1 screen connected only using DVI

Booting with ONE screen connected ONLY
MacOS boots up, login OK
Resolution is at 1920x1200

Scenario B2 - Follow-up on scenario B1 - connecting my second screen

Connecting second screen
Screen is recognized
Resolution is correct
Even sleep/wake up functions work when 2 screens are connected
If I restart, or cold start then I hit scenario C - see below

Scenario C - Boot with 2 screens connected using DVI

Two screens are connected at boot time
Regardless of the arguments (tried GraphicsEnabler=no, -x, -v, dart=0) passed at boot time
I get a grey screen / kernel panic (if -v is enabled)

Code:
Kernel Panic (CPU 4) "a freed zone element has been modified in zone kalloc.64: expected 0xdeadbeefdeadbeef but found 0xdeadbeef00000000 bits change 0xdeadbeef, at offset 48 of 64 in element 0xffffff801d46ad00"

I keep seeing nvda_drv=1 although I tried to pass nvda_drv=0 as an argument but ended up with the verbose mode showing:
Boot args: kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 nvda_drv=0 -v -x

Would anybody have an idea on how to boot with 2 screens connected?

Last edited:
Did you try using a DisplayPort to DVI adapter ? Adapters did the trick for people who had HDMI problems with this card earlier.

Not yet.
I have only mini display port to DVI adapter (from my macbook pro).
I tried with HDMI to DVI and had exactly the same kind of issue. Works when connected after boot but not working while booting up.

I just don't really understand a kernel panic triggered by two screens connected at boot time.

Hello :)

I read your posting and also your solution (http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...3-16gb-ssd-256gb-gtx970-dual-dvi-monitor.html). I have the same card (gtx 970) and the same problem, the hackintosh reboots every time I have the second screen connected. One screen is connected via displayport, the other via hdmi (I need the sound). I just don’t get how you solved the problem. Did you just do a reinstall and it worked? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks & greetz
O

I read your posting and also your solution (http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...3-16gb-ssd-256gb-gtx970-dual-dvi-monitor.html). I have the same card (gtx 970) and the same problem, the hackintosh reboots every time I have the second screen connected. One screen is connected via displayport, the other via hdmi (I need the sound). I just don’t get how you solved the problem. Did you just do a reinstall and it worked? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks & greetz
O

Sound is also output through the DVI port if you use a DVI-HDMI adapter.

great news, thanks for the info! I already ordered a hdmi-dvi-adapter hoping to solve the reboot issue that way :)

hm, none of the adapters did the trick for me :( hackintosh still reboots the moment the login-screen should appear. i tried to connect with a hdmi-dvi-adapter and also with a hdmi-displayport-adapter and every combination possible. it works flawlessly if I connect the second screen after the hackintosh finished booting. one screen uses 1080p, the other 2560x1440, could that be the problem?

maybe anyone with a gtx 970 here that got a similar set of screens working? :)

Thanks & greetz
O

Not sure about the other problems, but for the reboot issue during startup while dual monitors connected to GTX 970, I found my solution here is to change smbios from iMac12,2 to iMac14,2,

I have both monitors connected to DVI ports, Dell 3008WFP @2560x1600 and Dell 2001FP @ 1200x1600.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back