i7 7700
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone!

So, the time has come for an update on my lil'old Hack.

I use a Nvidia GTX 1080 as my GPU, and I purchased a AMD card to replace it.
Of course, I'm still running HS 10.13.6, and planning to update it to Big Sur.

Now, to start with the update procedure, I changed my HDMI cable to my MOBO HDMI out, since I am updating to a system where NVidia is not supported anymore. The thing is - it does not boot. It restarts while showing the Apple loading bar screen, at the very end.

I reach Clover boot screen normally, my boot args are dart=0 and -disablegfxfirmware

I’ve updated Lilu, whatevergreen, FakeSMC in the Clover folder.

What could be wrong?

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

So, the time has come for an update on my lil'old Hack.

I use a Nvidia GTX 1080 as my GPU, and I purchased a AMD card to replace it.
Of course, I'm still running HS 10.13.6, and planning to update it to Big Sur.

Now, to start with the update procedure, I changed my HDMI cable to my MOBO HDMI out, since I am updating to a system where NVidia is not supported anymore. The thing is - it does not boot. It restarts while showing the Apple loading bar screen, at the very end.

I reach Clover boot screen normally, my boot args are dart=0 and -disablegfx

I’ve updated Lilu, whatevergreen, FakeSMC in the Clover folder.

What could be wrong?

Hi there.

Must admit I've not seen the boot command "-disablegfx" before. Maybe it's something new I've missed. Normally I'd use "-wegnoegpu" which works with the whatevergreen.kext.

:)

Oops, forgot to upload the EFI folder...here it goes

Hi there.

Must admit I've not seen the boot command "-disablegfx" before. Maybe it's something new I've missed. Normally I'd use "-wegnoegpu" which works with the whatevergreen.kext.

:)
Yes...honestly, I don't even remember why it's there. All was working fine, because since day 1, I never booted using the iGPU HDMI.

What is the AMD card ?
Oh, it's a RX 6700 XT, but that's a problem for the future...because I won't be able to use it either, for the time being...but I haven't installed it yet...just want to update the OS to Big Sur first.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.5 MB · Views: 124
Oops, forgot to upload the EFI folder...here it goes

Yes...honestly, I don't even remember why it's there. All was working fine, because since day 1, I never booted using the iGPU HDMI.

Oh, it's a RX 6700 XT, but that's a problem for the future...because I won't be able to use it either, for the time being...but I haven't installed it yet...just want to update the OS to Big Sur first.

Okay, you've edited your original post now, to correct your typo/spelling-error, and now my reply makes no sense. This just confuses the issue and makes it hard to help.

As you haven't actually installed the AMD GPU yet, as @trs96 suggests - check your BIOS setting.

Okay, you've edited your original post now, to correct your typo/spelling-error, and now my reply makes no sense. This just confuses the issue and makes it hard to help.

As you haven't actually installed the AMD GPU yet, as @trs96 suggests - check your BIOS setting.
Yes, I edited! Sorry...the boot arg is "-disablegfxfirmware" and not "-disablegfx"

How about changing the BIOS setting to use iGPU instead of dedicated graphics.
I'll check that, return as soon as possible...thanks

How about changing the BIOS setting to use iGPU instead of dedicated graphics.

I've updated my BIOS settings and turned on iGPU Multi-Monitor. Primary Display option was already on.

Still didn't do the trick. The only thing that changed is that now, when I boot using Nvidia HDMI, everything is black until my desktop shows. So there's no MOBO status screen, no Clover boot, no black screen with apple logo.

So, went back to disabled Multi-monitor in BIOS.

You need to have the display connected to one of the motherboard's graphics output connectors, not the Nvidia card.

Having the display connected to the Nvidia card when the IGPU is set to default would not allow anything to show until the Nvidia card was initialised.

You need to add -wegnoegpu boot argument to your config.plist to disable the GTX 1080 graphics card.

Or maybe you need to remove the Nvidia card, while you sort out your IGPU setup. So the only display connectors you can use are those from the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back