Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Can't boot using iGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to have the display connected to one of the motherboard's graphics output connectors
Yes, yes! I just mentioned the new behavior, because even using the mobo's HDMI, it still did not boot. The only way I'm able to reach my desktop, is by connecting the monitor to the GPU HDMI.

Or maybe you need to remove the Nvidia card
That's something I did not think of doing! Thanks for the insight. I'll try that and the boot arg.

DisplayPort connection is more likely to work out of the box with macOS.

You probably need to add a number of IGPU connector values to your config.plist to get the HDMI working with macOS.

The image below (taken from WhateverGreen.kext Intel HD FAQ manual) shows the type of connectors you might need to add to get the HDMI working.

Example of a semantic patch: HDMI type connector (connector-type=00080000 for connectors with index 1, 2 and 3).

IGPU Framebuffer connector.png

You wouldn't need this exact patch, as your system probably will have a Dummy connector and the DisplayPort connector to take in to consideration. The Dummy connector will be required as the Kaby Lake HD 630 IGPU your system uses will need to enable a minimum of 3 connectors with any valid AAPL,ig-platform-id entry.

I am assuming you are using a valid Framebuffer for your Kaby Lake IGPU. These are the Framebuffers normally used with a Kaby Lake IGPU.

Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 22.30.11.png You should be using one of the two desktop Framebuffers.

DisplayPort connection is more likely to work out of the box with macOS.

You probably need to add a number of IGPU connector values to your config.plist to get the HDMI working with macOS.

The image below (taken from WhateverGreen.kext Intel HD FAQ manual) shows the type of connectors you might need to add to get the HDMI working.

Example of a semantic patch: HDMI type connector (connector-type=00080000 for connectors with index 1, 2 and 3).

View attachment 528613

You wouldn't need this exact patch, as your system probably will have a Dummy connector and the DisplayPort connector to take in to consideration. The Dummy connector will be required as the Kaby Lake HD 630 IGPU your system uses will need to enable a minimum of 3 connectors with any valid AAPL,ig-platform-id entry.

I am assuming you are using a valid Framebuffer for your Kaby Lake IGPU. These are the Framebuffers normally used with a Kaby Lake IGPU.

View attachment 528615 You should be using one of the two desktop Framebuffers.
Thanks for that! I was already checking out the WhateverGreen.kext Intel HD FAQ, but I don't understand much of what's written there...so I'm taking baby steps here.

What I did, and worked (a little), was physically removing the Nvidia card. I was able to reach my desktop, but then every window I opened started flashing and disintegrating. Of course, the big warning about Nvidia not being able to find any GPU connected. Maybe it's something related to Nvidia drivers now. Dunno!

Remove/uninstall the Nvidia Web Drivers.

Make sure you have the Intel framebuffer for your Kaby Lake IGPU entered in your config.plist. This should stop the graphics issues.

If you removed the Nvidia card there is no need for the -wegnoegpu boot argument, as its purpose is to disable any discrete GPU in the system.

I've tried to post a reply here yesterday, but something seems to have blocked the message.

Anyway, I was able to boot using the iGPU into HS, but the screen was all glitchy and very demanding processor-wise, specially as time goes by since the boot. In the first 5 minutes, it's all "usable", but after 6 or 7 minutes of uptime, I couldn't even navigate into folders with Finder and surely was not able to edit my config.plist through Clover. Can't see s@ˆ$, and even the mouse gets stuck sometimes.

After that, I tried to update to Catalina, and then things got really strange. Colors went haywire, the desktop image was looking like a scene from Mars.

Really annoying stuff...but I've realized the best thing for me to do is to get a clean install. I've read that the System Definition could affect iGPU external display functionality, and I'm using 18,3.

I'm trying to start from scratch, but not even my install USB is working anymore. Maybe I need to go back do Hackintosh pre-school...damn!

It is recommend to use the iMac 18,1 SMBIOS when using the IGPU to drive a display.

The iMac 18,3 SMBIOS is recommended when using a discrete graphics card to drive a display.

It is recommend to use the iMac 18,1 SMBIOS when using the IGPU to drive a display.

The iMac 18,3 SMBIOS is recommended when using a discrete graphics card to drive a display.
Thanks for the reply. I was able to start from scratch by using OpenCore, using iMac 18,1 SMBIOS.

All working good so far! Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back