i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys. Firstly, thank you for deciding to check out this thread.

I have very recently built my Hackintosh and have gone through the OS installation process, incl the installation of OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. I am happy to report that I have received help in the Snow Leopard Forum from some helpful moderators there:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-desktop-support/136883-cant-boot-up-os-10-6-grey-apple-screen.html#post843341
... The link above will help illustrate the process I've just gone through, to get to this stage.

My current problem involves trying to boot up my machine so I can start using it.

Problem: When I try to boot up from the HD, it gets as far as the grey Apple screen and then auto-restarts. If I try to get round this by booting up with my 8GB USB Mav. booter, it just auto-restarts at the end.

1. I installed Snow Leopard with help from iBoot Haswell (a TonyMac Guide and some Moderators).
The guide:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

BIOS:
I managed to make some changes to the BIOS when prompted to do so in the guide. However, I must point out that I have never found HPET settings in my BIOS.
In STEP 3, part 4 of the Mavericks installation guide, it says:
"If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it"
... My BIOS has this set to Enabled and is greyed out so it can't be changed.

2. I have been able to install Mavericks from a 8GB USB boot drive, with help from this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
Also, while in Mav. I was able to get my WiFi card picking up the internet.

3. When I first got inside the OS (Mav.) I tried to install all elements of Multi Beast.
However, I believe that I used the Snow Leopard version instead of the Mavericks version by mistake.

I originally downloaded this version because my initial intention was to use my hackintosh with OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I have since been advised that it is not possible for me to operate my hack. with this OS with my spec. - and that it is better for me to use Mavericks because it is more stable.
... When I tried to install the MultiBeast files from my USB Mav. installer, it crashed. I haven't been able to get in since.

4. Now, when I try to boot up with the following:
1st boot device: DVD Drive (with iBoot Haswell inside)
I get to the Chimera/TonyMac boot screen. I see 2 options: iBoot Haswell -&- HD (hard drive).
I try to boot up with the HD, using either 'normal', '-x' or '-v'
Result: When it gets to the grey Apple screen, it only lasts for less than a second (no spinning timer icon) ... and then auto-restarts leading me to the BIOS and then TonyMac boot screen again...
:thumbdown: ... ...

4a. If I select iBoot H. it just crashes straight away.
:thumbdown:

5. If I use F12 to access the 'BIOS-boot options' and select my USB Mav. boot device, I get to the (slightly more colourful) UniBeast boot screen. I see 2 options: USB -&- HD.
I have just tried to boot up with the HD, using '-x'
Result: This time it seems like I'm getting further. I get to the grey Apple screen again, but this time I do see the spinning timer icon. However, it has been spinning on this screen for over 20 mins. So, I assume that this is a sign that the boot-up didn't work. :thumbdown:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My build...

Hackintosh:
CPU: Intel i7 4770k
Cooler: (fan that came with CPU, and case fans)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
Graphics: (onboard / no added card)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (x 1)
PSU: Corsair RM650
HD (1 of 1): Samsung SSD 120GB
Case: CiT Gamers Case
Optical drive: Standard 3.5" DVD Writer/Player
WiFi card: TP-Link N900 (TL-WDN4800)
OS: OS 10.9 (installed with USB stick using UniBeast, partition 1 of 1).
Previous OS: OS 10.6 (retail disk) installed on partition.
Used "iBoot Haswell" & "OS 10.6.8 Combo".

Note: "rBoot" disk doesn't work.

Other computer:
MacBook 2007 (black).
OS: OS 10.6.8 (Mavericks cannot be installed on this machine)

Internet connections:
WiFi connection works in Mavericks.

... if you would like any more info, including screenshots or videos of any stages of this process, please do not hesitate to ask ...

Thank you for reading my post.
... I appreciate that it is a bit long, but my thinking is it is better to furnish you with slightly too much info - than too little.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back