Motherboard
Gigabyte z390m
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. I've installed macOS Catalina on my hardware and everything works smoothly. Shut down / Sleep, internet, audio, etc. I've used the Unibeast installation and post-installation process.

The one thing that DOESN'T work is PC Turn On. I mean I can't boot into macOS from the first time I press on the power button. I need to use my USB stick and do a couple of manual reboots, sometimes 2, sometimes 5/7/8 reboots, and then the system will start. After that all good, all my sessions are saved and like nothing happened from the last time. I don't know why does it happen.

If anyone knows please help or some resources would be helpful too.
Thank you guys and wash your hands in this wild time.

What happens when you boot? Do you make it past POST and into Clover? Have you tried booting into verbose and figuring out where it gets an error.

I have a feeling that this is one of the common boot problems with Gigabyte motherboards. Try disabling your iGPU in the BIOS and clearing the CMOS.

I'm getting prohibited sign when I turn on my computer. After a couple of times, it works and boots into the system, sometimes I need to reboot 3-9 times. No errors, everything works well from my last session, etc
Okie, I'll try to turn off iGPU.
When I first time installed MacOS on this hardware it works perfectly except sleep and restarts, I've added kexts in the folder and sleep and restart work perfectly. The one thing is that reboot issue

thanks for the help, I'll try your solution and get back

OK -- good luck. I had this problem too in my build.

You should read pastrychef's build with the Z390M Gaming motherboard. It really helped me out, and he includes some EFI's that you can adapt to your system. These are basic EFI's that should work on any Gigabyte Z390, however, be aware that you have to customize your USB ports.

If what is happening is the same as my problem, the easy fix is to disable the iGPU. However, the iGPU is required for Sidecar and some miscellaneous functions like Quick look preview, rendering in FCPX or Premiere, etc.

The proper fix is to make sure you unlock the MSR.

Next, try to use pastrychef's EFI and customize it to your build.

Then if you want to enable your iGPU, you should follow CaseySJ's guide. There are several preconfigured patches at the bottom of his post. I used the Z390M Gaming patch and it worked for my Z390 Gaming X, so it might work for your board as well.

If what is happening is the same as my problem, the easy fix is to disable the iGPU. However, the iGPU is required for Sidecar and some miscellaneous functions like Quick look preview, rendering in FCPX or Premiere, etc.

I have sapphire radeon rx 580 4gb nitro + and I don't have iGPU working in Catalina and I think I don't need it because I have dedicated GPU.

haven't tried yet, I m working now, I think I'll try after the end of the work day. Thanks. I'll let you know.
I recall that I wasn't able to find iGPU option in the BIOS. Also, Could you tell me where and how I can clear CMOS? Thank you

For disabling the iGPU in the BIOS, the interface might be different based on your BIOS version. With mine, it is under the Settings > Internal Graphics option, and you can set this to Disabled. It should be in your manual.

In your manual, if you are using the same BIOS, the settings would be

Peripherals > Initial Display Output > PCIe 1 Slot (assuming your dGPU is installed in the x16 slot)
Chipset > Internal Graphics > Disabled

Before you reset the CMOS, you should write down your changes to the default BIOS settings and save them in a profile

With resetting the CMOS, there are two ways. The first way is to 1) unplug the power cable, 2) discharge the power by pushing the Power On button a few times; 3) remove the button battery on the motherboard for at least 2 minutes, then putting it back.

The best way to reset the CMOS is to short the two CMOS_CLR pins on the motherboard. 1) unplug the power cable, 2) discharge the power by pushing the Power On button a few times; 3) using a small screwdriver, touch the two pins near the base of the pins and hold it for around 10 seconds.

You'll know that you successfully reset the CMOS when you boot and you get the message that the BIOS has been reset. At this point, you enter setup and enter your previous settings either by entering them or loading your saved profile.

I'm not sure if this will completely solve your problem. I have never disabled my iGPU for an extended length of time, but I was having the boot problem randomly occurring. The only way I solved it was by unlocking the MSR then adapting pastrychef's EFI to my system.

Good luck!
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 6.44.35 AM.png

Last edited:
For disabling the iGPU in the BIOS, the interface might be different based on your BIOS version. With mine, it is under the Settings > Internal Graphics option, and you can set this to Disabled. It should be in your manual.

In your manual, if you are using the same BIOS, the settings would be

Peripherals > Initial Display Output > PCIe 1 Slot (assuming your dGPU is installed in the x16 slot)
Chipset > Internal Graphics > Disabled

Before you reset the CMOS, you should write down your changes to the default BIOS settings and save them in a profile

With resetting the CMOS, there are two ways. The first way is to 1) unplug the power cable, 2) discharge the power by pushing the Power On button a few times; 3) remove the button battery on the motherboard for at least 2 minutes, then putting it back.

The best way to reset the CMOS is to short the two CMOS_CLR pins on the motherboard. 1) unplug the power cable, 2) discharge the power by pushing the Power On button a few times; 3) using a small screwdriver, touch the two pins near the base of the pins and hold it for around 10 seconds.

You'll know that you successfully reset the CMOS when you boot and you get the message that the BIOS has been reset. At this point, you enter setup and enter your previous settings either by entering them or loading your saved profile.

I'm not sure if this will completely solve your problem. I have never disabled my iGPU for an extend length of time, but I was having the boot problem randomly occurring. The only way I solved it was by unlocking the MSR then adapting pastrychef's EFI to my system.

Good luck!View attachment 475429
thank you very much for this thorough manual. I'll try it today. Have a nice day

I’ve disabled internal graphics. And still got no changes. Here’s error in verbose mode.

Attachments

• DE07FC10-2DB4-449F-B4E9-EBD459932FD3.jpeg
    DE07FC10-2DB4-449F-B4E9-EBD459932FD3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back