1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[Solved] Can not boot Windows 8 and OS X 10.9 off same drive

Hey guys

So I am running my system with a single 240GB SSD. I would like to run OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 and Windows 8 Pro by partitioning it 50/50.

I have used this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

The problem I have is if I install both Windows(Non-UEFI) and OS X on the same drive it will only boot Windows unless I use the Unibeast Flash Drive. So I normally would use this guide to set the bootloader for OSX: http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

If I use this guide when both Windows and OS X are installed to the same drive I get the boot0 issue and if I boot the unibeast to go to Windows I get the Windows boot Manger is missing. I have tried the boot0 guide but that still doesn't solve the problem.

I get this if I try the above:
boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: done

I can still boot OS X if I use the Unibeast drive, Windows is still missing the Boot manger. I am presuming that the EFI guide wiped my Windows Boot Manager.

I haven't a clue what to do now. If someone could help that would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
Your best approach is to get another drive and dedicate a drive to each OS. Are you having the boot0 error? Since this is a SSD, when you run MultiBeast after installation and reboot does it boot to Windows?
If it only boots to Windows, you have a form of the boot0 error, so follow the "boot0 error: the official guide" procedure to install Chimera boot files manually.

After spending most of today reformatting and testing I finally worked out a configuration that worked:

1. Boot Unibeast and create two partitions, one HFS+ and one FAT32.
  2. Install OS X 10.9 to the HFS+ partition and reboot. (Do not running multibeast yet)
  3. Install Windows 8 non-UEFI, reformat the FAT32 partition to NTFS and continue the install. (This will set Windows to boot first)
  4. After the install in done reboot with the Unibeast drive plugged in and boot into the OS X install.
  5. Do your Multibeast setup. Drivers and boot settings etc.
  6. Complete and reboot your system without the Unibeast USB drive plugged in.
  7. I got the Boot0: Done error.
  8. Plug in the Unibeast USB drive and boot back into the installer.
  9. Go to disk utility and unmount the OS X partition.
  10. Launch Terminal and run this string: dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
  11. Reboot without Unibeast and test that both Windows and OS X boots.
  12. Done. Months of problems solved with the correct method :)

I would like to thank Going Bald and MacMan guides for helping my work this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back