Contribute
Register

Can't boot non safe-mode with ASUS P8Z77-V (tried everything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi!
My setup:

P8Z77-V with latest BIOS (2013) patched for power management using PMPatch.
32GB RAM
EVGA GTX 680
Intel Core i7-3770
Corsair 512GB SSD

I can't seem to boot without "-x", both during install and after installing.
Its gets stuck at a white screen (both installation and after installing with -x).

This is all I've tried:

* Trying to boot into the installation screen without -x, none of this worked (gets stuck at white screen):
- Tried OSX 10.8.3, and the recent 10.8.4 (created a new USB from 10.8.4)
- Removed my graphics card, tried with the internal HD4000.
- Tried all different sorts of BIOS settings: HCI handoff, VT-D disabled/enabled, "optimized defaults", etc. I believe I tried everything in terms of BIOS settings.
- I created my own DSDT, using MacIASL and PJALM's patch for P8Z77-V - I put the DSDT.aml in the /Extra folder.
- Tried all sorts of boot options: PCIRootUID=0, GraphicsEnabler=No, nnpci=0xxxxx, all that stuff.
- Removed all USB devices except mouse and keyboard.

None of these worked. The only thing that worked was "-x". So I went with that, and installed the system that way.

But I still couldn't boot my system without "-x". I would still get the white screen when booting my installed system also. Here's all I tried:

* Trying to boot the installed system without -x after installing the system with -x:
- Tried OSX 10.8.3, and the recent 10.8.4 (created a new USB from 10.8.4)
- Removed my graphics card, tried with the internal HD4000.
- Installed MultiBeast, multiple times, different sorts of options, including the ones listed in a post here from a guy that has the same mobo as mine.
- All BIOS settings described above.
- All boot options described above.
- Using my own DSDT.

The installed system boots with -x, but again, it's rather unusable since it's safe mode...

* Things I HAVEN'T TRIED, unclear:
- Removed memory sticks.

I booted with "-v" but I couldn't quite catch a glimpse of the last message before the white screen. When my GTX is plugged in, I see some NVDA* stuff printed out. When I used the HD4000, I *think* the last message was something about BlueTooth.

I'm not quite sure why ML is so picky about my hardware - it seems that I should be able to at least get the basics working without -x.

Any ideas?

I believe I tried everything before bugging you guys.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I just wanted to give this a bump. I find this whole thing really strange - I really should be able to get this working without "-x". Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hey, I cannot fully help you but I can tell you that I can boot my computer (same identical mainboard) without the safe mode.
I am not using your version of the BIOS... Actually I am with the first version of it and on top I have flashed this one: http://bios.zmac.net/asus/P8Z77-V-ASUS-1805_modified.zip

How did you patch your bios?
I have other problems, but Safe mode is definitely not one of them.
I have followed this guide in order to make it happen: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...udio-sleep-wake-ethernet-usb3.html#post624325

I hope it can help

Thanks for your response! It was definitely helpful!

Interesting to see that he wasn't able to boot without -x at the beginning:

" For my case, I could never boot up my system from USB without this switch. For the first boot on my SDD also, I use this switch."

So it seems that -x was necessary to get to the installation screen and for the first boot.

I tried two approaches with my BIOS:

1 - I used the one you mentioned.
2 - Since I couldn't boot without -x with this BIOS, I downloaded an updated version from ASUS and patched it manually using PMPatch.

The differences I see in his guide is that he used a custom DSDT that is different from mine, and he deleted some kext's when he installed Multibeast. That I didn't do.

So I'll boot with -x to install and to boot it for the first time, and then I'll delete these kexts he mentions and use my DSDT (which I manually built - should enable HDMI and all). If my DSDT doesn't work, I'll use the one he mentions in his guide.

I'll report back saying whether this worked or not.

Let me ask you: Did you get your Wi-Fi to work? Is it possible?

Thanks again!

No, unfortunately I could not make my hackintosh working. I have found out that these guides are not designed for ASUS mainboards. I have tried to receive support but the only thing that I was able to do was installing ML... from there on I have no succeeded.
I was sure here I could have found help because my first post had an immediate response and I spent a lot of money just to buy a new sed of disks (just not to overwrite my windows disks), and now nothing.... I am tired and I give up

I can't get it to work either. I can install ML with "-x", but I can't boot the system without "-x". It locks up before the login screen.

I tried diferent kext's, different DSDT's, different MultiBeast settings and different BIOS settings.

I am almost giving up.

If I ever get this to work I'll post a reply to this thread telling you what I've done, but I'm not really hopeful.

FWIW:

I was finally able to boot my system and get it to work by using a specific set of boot flags:

GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 dart=0

Interesting things that I noticed:

- I had one of these in my org...plist file but somehow chameleon did not pick it up (I think I know why though, I'll double check)
- I did not bother to use PCIRootUID=0 much because I read somewhere that this was the default value, but it turns out that my system only boots if this option is explicitly set to zero.

So, in the end, even though I had GE=No in my plist file, PCIRootUID's default value is zero (according to the plist wiki), my system only booted when I explicitly set these three options at the boot prompt.

Hope this helps someone.

Interesting.

I'm on my second P8Z77 build. The first was a P8Z77-V Pro Thunderbolt (i7-3770K, GT680, Patched BIOS 1708) and I could only get it running with GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1. I had no further problems after that.

My second is a P8Z77 Deluxe (i7-3770, GT650TiBoost, Patched BIOS 2003). With this I also need PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No but I'm also stuck with the -x option. If I don't put PCIRootUID=1. I can't even get to safe mode because it always stops right after the bluetooth loader (even though my bluetooth is disabled in BIOS). So I can boot with -x but not without.

However, I have dart=1 in my boot list. I'll try dart=0 and see what I get.

EDIT: I've not done a DSDT for either as I thought they were note required for UEFI BIOS MBs.

EDIT EDIT: dart=0 did the trick! I didn't need to do anything else. The only problem is that my intel Ethernet stopped working. Reinstalled from Multibeast and it seems OK now. Still can't get the Realtec 8111 Ethernet adapter to work even with the multibeast drivers. Intel Ethernet works fine though.

:D Thanks - Boot Problem Solved by adding the dart=0 to my boot flags. No other flags needed.

My setup
OSX-Yosemite 10.10.1
MB P8Z77-V
i7 4770 1155 IvyBridge
2x 8gb DDR3 1600
Crucial 60GB SSD
MSI Radeon R9 270x

I did not flash a BIOS Patch. Used Multibeast 7, EasyBeast
I went thru hell trying to get past what I thought was a USB issue.
Turns out all I needed was the dart=0 flag.

I am up and running. Just need to resolve the sound after sleep issue and reconnect my Windows 7 Pro drive for dual boot.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back