Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270-HD3
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
RX 590
I'm currently facing an Issue with my Dell Laptop (G3 3590) where if I boot macOS after installing windows on a separate internal drive, I can no longer boot into windows either through OpenCore including "bless" in System Preferences, or through my MB even after manually adding the Windows boot file in my BIOS. Even if I do add the boot file manually, windows will give me a boot error telling me to run "Repair Computer" through a install USB which always seems to fail.

I will note though that OpenCore seemed to have even removed "Windows Boot Manager" from my bootable drives in my BIOS somehow as It was just gone after booting into macOS for the first time after have it installed.

I was once able to get OpenCore to show "BOOTCAMP Windows" to show after resetting NVRAM, and tried booting to it, but it instantly went back to the OpenCore boot screen and disappeared.

Dell G3 3590:

Intel i5-9300H
16GB of RAM
dGPU: 1660Ti - iGPU: UHD 630
500GB NVMe (which is where Windows is installed to)
2TB SATA Crucial SSD (With 1.5TB formatted to exFat and partitioned, and the other 500GB being dedicated to macOS)
PS/2 Keyboard, I2C Mouse

My config.plist is down below as well as screenshots of my EFI layout and my Boot Camp crash log if anybody can help me figure that out.

Attachments

• config.plist
    20.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 6.12.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 6.12.05 PM.png
    393.6 KB · Views: 424
  • Boot Camp Crash Log.txt
    80.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I'm currently facing an Issue with my Dell Laptop (G3 3590) where if I boot macOS after installing windows on a separate internal drive, I can no longer boot into windows either through OpenCore including "bless" in System Preferences, or through my MB even after manually adding the Windows boot file in my BIOS. Even if I do add the boot file manually, windows will give me a boot error telling me to run "Repair Computer" through a install USB which always seems to fail.

I will note though that OpenCore seemed to have even removed "Windows Boot Manager" from my bootable drives in my BIOS somehow as It was just gone after booting into macOS for the first time after have it installed.

I was once able to get OpenCore to show "BOOTCAMP Windows" to show after resetting NVRAM, and tried booting to it, but it instantly went back to the OpenCore boot screen and disappeared.

Dell G3 3590:

Intel i5-9300H
16GB of RAM
dGPU: 1660Ti - iGPU: UHD 630
500GB NVMe (which is where Windows is installed to)
2TB SATA Crucial SSD (With 1.5TB formatted to exFat and partitioned, and the other 500GB being dedicated to macOS)
PS/2 Keyboard, I2C Mouse

My config.plist is down below as well as screenshots of my EFI layout and my Boot Camp crash log if anybody can help me figure that out.
something like that happened to me and made my main hard drive a RAW partition

couldn't retrieve any data from it so i had to format it

something like that happened to me and made my main hard drive a RAW partition

couldn't retrieve any data from it so i had to format it

Yeah, unfortunately I decided to just convert back to Clover in the meantime. Feel free to quote me though if an alternative solution besides using a separate boot loader like rEFInd is found.

Been there, done that and was livid as all hell. Somehow it deleted my Microsoft EFI and no matter what I did I could not recover. Ended up having to reinstall Windows again. Copy your EFI Folders and keep them safe somewhere. Dualbooting with opencore is like bootcamp in a sense. Best options I find is to install macOS and then Windows through bootcamp. Use a separate usb for opencore until you get both OS running smoothly. or use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone Windows back to the disk after creating AFPS partitions and formatting one of them to Fat so Carbon can clone it into NTFS.

If anyone has this issue, I’ve been through the same, I had fortunately Ubuntu installed as dual boot so was able to retrieve the files from there into a hard disk, the problem only prevents booting into windows, but the files are still accessible, as mentioned above.

So if you got that problem, didn’t try it though, you could use a live ubuntu on usb to retrieve your important files. Didn’t manage to fix the EFI so formatted the windows partition, reinstalled and copied back my files from the external hard drive.

good luck.

Hello,

I have a quadruple boot hackintosh with macOS Catalina, Windows and Ubuntu on one disk and macOS Big Sur on the second disk. I am using OpenCore/OpenCanopy as the boot loader on the first disk.

- Catalina and Big Sur are a no brainer as they are automatically detected by OpenCore.

- As Ubuntu 20.04 was not detected by OpenCore (I still dont understand why after trying everything I found about it in the documentation), I had to manually add an Entry in Misc thank to the "POST - INSTALLATION" instructions here:

- Windows 10 is detected automatically, but when I select it in OpenCore, it starts booting with the spinning balls and either goes to a black screen or to the Windows 10 recovery screen with various options none of which fix the boot.
Contrary to your situation, I can boot Windows 10 fine by selecting the Windows Boot Manager at the BIOS level (F12 on my Gigabyte mobo).

> I previously managed to repair broken Windows 10 boots by following the procedure below which requires a USB of DVD Windows 10 installation media:
  1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
  2. Boot from the media by selecting it in the BIOS
  3. Select Repair Your Computer.
  4. Select Troubleshoot.
  5. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
Once at the command prompt:
Type: Diskpart
Type: List disk Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0
Type: Sel disk 0

Type: List vol Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4
Type: Sel vol 4
Type: assign letter=V:
Type: Exit

You should now be back at the command prompt:
Type: V:

After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart, you need to recreate the Windows EFI directory structure with the command:
bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Exit and reboot. Hopefully you should now boot into Windows at least when you select it in your BIOS bootloader chooser.

I hope this helps.

Hello,

I have a quadruple boot hackintosh with macOS Catalina, Windows and Ubuntu on one disk and macOS Big Sur on the second disk. I am using OpenCore/OpenCanopy as the boot loader on the first disk.

- Catalina and Big Sur are a no brainer as they are automatically detected by OpenCore.

- As Ubuntu 20.04 was not detected by OpenCore (I still dont understand why after trying everything I found about it in the documentation), I had to manually add an Entry in Misc thank to the "POST - INSTALLATION" instructions here:

- Windows 10 is detected automatically, but when I select it in OpenCore, it starts booting with the spinning balls and either goes to a black screen or to the Windows 10 recovery screen with various options none of which fix the boot.
Contrary to your situation, I can boot Windows 10 fine by selecting the Windows Boot Manager at the BIOS level (F12 on my Gigabyte mobo).

> I previously managed to repair broken Windows 10 boots by following the procedure below which requires a USB of DVD Windows 10 installation media:
  1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
  2. Boot from the media by selecting it in the BIOS
  3. Select Repair Your Computer.
  4. Select Troubleshoot.
  5. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
Once at the command prompt:
Type: Diskpart
Type: List disk Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0
Type: Sel disk 0

Type: List vol Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4
Type: Sel vol 4
Type: assign letter=V:
Type: Exit

You should now be back at the command prompt:
Type: V:

After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart, you need to recreate the Windows EFI directory structure with the command:
bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Exit and reboot. Hopefully you should now boot into Windows at least when you select it in your BIOS bootloader chooser.

I hope this helps.
Worked PERFECTLY! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back