Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus B250M
CPU
Core i7 7700k
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce 780 Ti 3GB
when I installed the newest clover 4208 beta I've experienced a refuse to boot in apfs on my Asus b250M Mobo Core i7 7700k system. It seems that the apfs.efi on the newest High Sierra Beta / GM Candidate is simply not working on some motherboards. I found a threat here on the forum, which suggested that one should use the apfs.efi from the HS Beta 5. I did that and it magically worked! It doesn't seem that this error won't be fixed anytime soon? I mean imagine someone has a similar problem, it would be extremely hard to find out that the actual apfs.efi is causing such an issue and that one needs to use a file from an old beta to make it run.

IMG_0339.jpg

I don't have any direct help but a couple observations. I am careful about upgrading clover as I've had issues in the past with upgrades making my system unbootable. When you install clover it creates a backup, so rather than go to an old apfs.efi, I'd probably revert to the previous clover that worked. As far as why an older apfs might work, it makes sense that earlier apfs.efi would have more debugging and logic paths. I believe apfs.efi from beta 8, beta 9 and GM candidate 1 are all the same (the last three beta/GM candidate releases), so they did stabilize at beta 8 (forgive DB9=PB8 or whatever, last three releases). It's probably a fairly optimized version, and would explain why going back to an earlier apfs might fix an issue. Again, I'd rather revert clover.

when I installed the newest clover 4208 beta I've experienced a refuse to boot in apfs on my Asus b250M Mobo Core i7 7700k system. It seems that the apfs.efi on the newest High Sierra Beta / GM Candidate is simply not working on some motherboards. I found a threat here on the forum, which suggested that one should use the apfs.efi from the HS Beta 5. I did that and it magically worked! It doesn't seem that this error won't be fixed anytime soon? I mean imagine someone has a similar problem, it would be extremely hard to find out that the actual apfs.efi is causing such an issue and that one needs to use a file from an old beta to make it run.

View attachment 278999
I'd be looking more along the lines of if the current EFI driver works with an APFS initialised with the current kernel extension, and trying to use the latest/final release version of both where possible. As to whether new bugs are being introduced or old bugs being fixed is, as you say, hard for us to know.

all I can say that I used a fresh install of high sierra, so clover 4200 was my companion though that installation all along. I used an apfs.efi file from the latest GM in the clover folder as clover doesn't support apfs yet. And it didn't work at all, the newst clover beta 4208 has an apfs file already onboard, but it causes the same effect of a non bootable system. I even though I don't understand it, I guess I have to stick with Beta 4 apfs.efi for as long as possible and I sincerely hope that it'll work with future High Sierra updates...

There's no APFS.EFI in the Clover source, someone must have added it after building. Clean install may not help if the installation target partition was not deleted and recreated. But doing that may not help either.

Replace it with your own apfs.efi in /usr/standalone/i386. That's how I fixed mine.

Sorry I don't follow.

Last edited:
Replace it with your own apfs.efi in /usr/standalone/i386. That's how I fixed mine.
Which beta version were you running (when this fixed it) and when/how was the APFS volume created/converted?

Which beta version were you running (when this fixed it) and when/how was the APFS volume created/converted?
I upgraded directly from 10.12.6 to GM, so everything happened automatically... But I started using PB since PB6. I was never given an option to convert JHFS+ to APFS in any of the PBs. The direct upgrade is possible because I merged my CLOVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back