Contribute
Register

Cant Boot installer [Newbie][Unibeast]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So used clover configurator to add SMBIOS details to my config.plist and it looked fine. still booted and all.

As suggested in post #39 I renamed the /EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi file to
/EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw-ORIG.efi and then installed windows
I then booted off the usb, changed the current one to
/EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw-WINDOWS.efi.

and then changed the orignal back to
/EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi

/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi doesn't exist *until* you install Windows. So... I'm not sure how you renamed it *before* installing Windows.

It still boots clover fine,and from within clover I can boot yosemite fine. but whenever I select the boot windows8 option from within clover I get a classic blinking console cursor in the upper left.
Thoughts are welcome

What Clover entry are you using to boot Windows?

/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi doesn't exist *until* you install Windows. So... I'm not sure how you renamed it *before* installing Windows.

What Clover entry are you using to boot Windows?
read post#36 I made it because my bootloader only recognizes it when it is in that location

As for the clover entry I am booting the third out of three, the first is Yosemite, second a recovery for yosemite and the third being "Boot Windows from Legacy HD4"

Does the "Legacy" imply it was installed in Non-uefi mode and i have to reinstall windows?
Fairly certain that theres no system/reserved partition so it must be a windows UEFI install

read post#36 I made it because my bootloader only recognizes it when it is in that location

I think you mean BIOS will only load EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi, so you copied CLOVERX64.efi there.

As for the clover entry I am booting the third out of three, the first is Yosemite, second a recovery for yosemite and the third being "Boot Windows from Legacy HD4"

Does the "Legacy" imply it was installed in Non-uefi mode and i have to reinstall windows?
Fairly certain that theres no system/reserved partition so it must be a windows UEFI install

You should boot Windows in UEFI mode not legacy mode (assuming you installed Windows in UEFI).

You can disable legacy boot in config.plist.

You can disable legacy boot in config.plist.

So changing the below to false?
Capture.PNG

Edit: yeah the windows boot option in clover dissapears, i am going to rename cloverx64.efi to something, put the windows efi file back and just go check that it is actually a windows UEFI install

Msinfo32 still says my bios mode is UEFI in windows. but clover only seems to show a legacy mode for windows8.1

I definable also ticked "install for uefi booting only" in clover.

Msinfo32 still says my bios mode is UEFI in windows. but clover only seems to show a legacy mode for windows8.1

I definable also ticked "install for uefi booting only" in clover.

It could be you still have a legacy boot record (for Windows) present on your HDD.

As in left over data in the EFI partition; Will copying everything out of EFI, doing a full overwrite/format and then copying it back fix that or do i have to use tools such as fdisk and stuff.

Or do you mean something else by boot record?

As in left over data in the EFI partition; Will copying everything out of EFI, doing a full overwrite/format and then copying it back fix that or do i have to use tools such as fdisk and stuff.

Or do you mean something else by boot record?

Boot record as is MBR or PBR. Wiping it out requires using 'dd' (advanced) or cleaning the disk entirely (eg. DISKPART.EXE "clean" command).

It is easier to disable the legacy scanner in Clover via config.plist.

is that what i did in post#54, It was the only place i saw a legacy boolean, the only other legacy lines in there were about hibernation stuff

View attachment config.plist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back