Contribute
Register

Cant Boot installer [Newbie][Unibeast]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have my efi.bak saved, (im assuming it stays after you close the recovery environment)

is there a way to create a blank efi partition using disk utility(or something mac os x will see), then boot the windows recovery environment (i have a recovery usb handy) and then recovery my efi using robocopy?

did not work :(

i made a ntfs placeholder partition, managed to erase it (it still said preparing to remove partiton) but when i closed and reopened disk utility it was gone.

so this empty space, tried to make hfs+ there, same thing ("preparing to create partition")
getting to a point where i may just open the laptop, replace the HDD and install happily on an old drive

edit: i dont think the install detects the efi partition...
did a verify disk and it says Error:the disk does not contain an EFI...

Ideas welcomee

You must be certain of this:
- there can be no MSR partition
- the EFI partition must be 200+MB

i have my efi.bak saved, (im assuming it stays after you close the recovery environment)

is there a way to create a blank efi partition using disk utility(or something mac os x will see), then boot the windows recovery environment (i have a recovery usb handy) and then recovery my efi using robocopy?

Disk Utility creates a blank EFI partition in when you partition the disk.

You must be certain of this:
- there can be no MSR partition
- the EFI partition must be 200+MB

check and check, lol that was the first thing i read when i read the thread you linked, when i get home i will post my windows and diskpart partition screenshots so you can check im not being stupid.

I have left my laptop backing up partitons so when i get home i will try a clean mac os install using a dual boot guide

ive got it booted, i used clover off the usb to boot it (i think, wasnt looking it just booted lol)

so i understand so far that multibeast installs chimera..
which i cant use, so should i use multibeast first, using easybeast and stuff as mentioned here:http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ny-supported-intel-based-pc.html#post_install

and then install clover, Will it add clover or replace ( i will assume it will replace as both are not needed)?

after installing cover and setting up multibeast and checking all my kexts work, is there else that needs to be done? (assuming all hardware is working at this stage)

ive got it booted, i used clover off the usb to boot it (i think, wasnt looking it just booted lol)

so i understand so far that multibeast installs chimera..

Multibeast installs only what you ask it to install.

which i cant use, so should i use multibeast first, using easybeast and stuff as mentioned here:http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ny-supported-intel-based-pc.html#post_install

and then install clover, Will it add clover or replace ( i will assume it will replace as both are not needed)?

after installing cover and setting up multibeast and checking all my kexts work, is there else that needs to be done? (assuming all hardware is working at this stage)

What exactly are you trying to do?

yeap understanding how it all works now after some messing about.

couple of last questions if you dont mind, (you dont have to answer, i could easily google them) its up to you:)

1. If kexts are installed inside the bootloader, do i need to keep a copy of them and re-add/install my kexts after installing a new bootloader.
2. When i dual booted windows 8 and 7, their Efi data used to interfere and i had to Chkdisk on every windows boot, has this ever happened to you?

Thank you :D

1. If kexts are installed inside the bootloader, do i need to keep a copy of them and re-add/install my kexts after installing a new bootloader.

I don't know what you mean by "kexts are installed inside the bootloader"...

Please clarify.

2. When i dual booted windows 8 and 7, their Efi data used to interfere and i had to Chkdisk on every windows boot, has this ever happened to you?

Never. And not sure what you mean by "Efi data... interfere"...

within the clover guide you linked, you install it, and then copy the kexts into the mounted EFI partition, the guide says to download 3 from some developers online files and paste them into there.
it doesnt actually matter, i can just do it anyway.

Im actually having trouble with this whole dual booting thing atm.
So im attemping to follow the second part of this guide
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html
the bit about on the same disk

after installing osx the windows bootloader is gone, so one would assume you can use clover to boot windows, nope. I just get a blinking cursor ina dos prompt

http://superuser.com/questions/460762/how-can-i-repair-the-windows-8-efi-bootloader
so googled it, you can use diskpart (which i am familiar with somewhat) to fix the windows bootloader and then i was thinking simply put clover over the top (that way the windows partition C should still be fine), For annoying reasons i cant seem to use the command assign letter=x

It says it can only assign to volumes, and my efi partition is only showing as a partition, not a volume. shame. If anyone has ideas say, but i dont expect much as ive tried google and a few forums.

I cam currently installing windows, ontop of broken windows, which also has a working yosemite partition:/

"Never. And not sure what you mean by "Efi data... interfere"..."
basically, you could boot windows 7, all is well. until you boot windows 8, it will say files have been changed outside of the system. something about them behinf curropt, and restore the computer back to the last windows 8 boot.
The worst part was sometimes it switched, so windows 7 was the one doing the restoring..

Worst of all, it was the whole disk, including the EFI partition. Man that thing was a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back