Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Can't boot High Sierra installer. Stuck loading NVMe controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. So I'm trying a new install on a new build.

My specs are updated on my profile

I'm using an MSI b360m Mortar Titanium motherboard

I have two HP EX900 NVMe drives. The one in the first port has windows installed

I'm looking to install OSX on the second drive. This is my first time using NVMe drives

The clover bootloader loads off my USB installation, but after selecting the installation of High Sierra, in verbose mode, I get stuck on the screen attached below. it doesn't explicitly show a kernel panic, as far as I know, and it doesn't reboot, it's just stuck there

I searched and searched but I couldn't find anything. Only similar issues other users had were solved by injecting USB which I already have set. Most results I got were for Sierra and El Capitan, but High Sierra is supposed to support NVMe natively?

EDIT:

I removed both NVMe drives and I still get stuck but on a different screen that I see other people here getting stuck at (second screenshot)

I will try to downgrade bios since I can't think of anything else

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpeg
    IMG_1406.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Lilu.kext is old and should be updated (along with all dependent kexts)

Lilu.png

Shiki.kext is deprecated and should be removed (Replaced by WhateverGreen.kext)

Shiki.png

Thanks. I fixed this issue by downgrading my BIOS. I saw others with similar issues and a few who downgraded their BIOS and that fixed it as well. I didn't think about that solution first because those were motherboards from other manufacturers.

Maybe what is happening is that motherboard manufacturers released a patch related to those intel security exploits we heard about last year, and whatever that patch does interferes with hackintosh installation. This would explain why different manufacturers released relatively recent BIOS updates that all bring similar issues?? But I don't know.

So to anyone reading this because they have a similar issue, try downgrading your bios to the nearest one to the date of this post.

Thanks. I fixed this issue by downgrading my BIOS. I saw others with similar issues and a few who downgraded their BIOS and that fixed it as well. I didn't think about that solution first because those were motherboards from other manufacturers.

Maybe what is happening is that motherboard manufacturers released a patch related to those intel security exploits we heard about last year, and whatever that patch does interferes with hackintosh installation. This would explain why different manufacturers released relatively recent BIOS updates that all bring similar issues?? But I don't know.

So to anyone reading this because they have a similar issue, try downgrading your bios to the nearest one to the date of this post.
Jorsh,
What is the Bios you downgraded to? Date of Post:02/01/2019, BIOS DATES: vA0 3/14/2018, vA1 4/9/2018, vA2 5/24/2018, vA3 2/8/2018 (which I surmise is the bios you downgraded to as you are using a 9th gen processor and the board and your processor would not work without at least this version, vA4 10/18/2018. VA4 is the last version on the MSI site for this board.

Well, I have found the answer, you must use vA3 2/8/2018 bios or you will not be able to boot. There is a bug in vA4 and the lastest shipping an earlier vA4 with a different date. I do not know if this bug affects other MSI boards but the security exploit additions started before 9th gen was released. There was also a shutdown issue to reboot, which does not affect Ubuntu 18.10 or Windows 10 on this board but an added kext cured that.

Well, I have found the answer, you must use vA3 2/8/2018 bios or you will not be able to boot. There is a bug in vA4 and the lastest shipping an earlier vA4 with a different date. I do not know if this bug affects other MSI boards but the security exploit additions started before 9th gen was released. There was also a shutdown issue to reboot, which does not affect Ubuntu 18.10 or Windows 10 on this board but an added kext cured that.

Sorry I did not see your first message on time. Yes, I'm using version 7B23vA3 on my MSI Mortar b360m motherboard

Sorry I did not see your first message on time. Yes, I'm using version 7B23vA3 on my MSI Mortar b360m motherboard
Thanks and I had Aptiomemoryfix.efi vrs osxaptiofixdrv-free2000.efi because I had transferred this M.2 NVME drive over from another build which was a Z97 Gigabyte board. I was getting random Prohibited signs and could only boot on the 2nd boot. switching out Aptio for free2000 cured this. So vA3 is mandatory on this board as well as free2000. Thanks. Now to map USB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back