Contribute
Register

Can't boot from USB using Unibeast (Thinkpad Yoga)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, I have a thinkpad yoga and I'm trying to boot from the USB with Unibeast. I have installed Unibeast on the USB by following the Yosemite guide and have pressed the 'laptop support' button as well.

The problem I have now is when I'm at the boot screen and press 'boot' from the USB, the screen just flickers/refreshes once and goes back to the same boot options screen. I keep pressing boot from usb and it just keeps flickering and I never reach the chimera (or whatever its called) boot screen.

I think it's something to do with my bios settings.

If any of you guys can give any help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sam

My specs:
Thinkpad Yoga
Intel i5 4200U processor
4GB Ram

Can you please provide more information about your specs such as your graphics and Mobo Chipset please?

-its an Intel HD Graphics 4400 integrated graphics
-the 4GB ram
PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3L, soldered to motherboard, no socket
-128GB SSD SATA3

Also, I created the drive using virtualbox, simulating the latest Yosemite software on it, could that be the problem?

No, the virtualbox or BIOS settings aren't the problem. It's the graphics! Intel HD 4400 isn't natively supported in OS X. Install the kexts I've attached and add this to your org.chameleon.boot.plist :

<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>

Hope I could help!

- Matt

Sources: Intel HD 4400 guide

Attachments

• FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 106
  • FakePCIID.kext.zip
    11 KB · Views: 113
Thanks, I'll try this now. Another small question. If I install Yosemite on my laptop, will it decrease or use up more juice than if I'm running Windows 8.1? The battery currently lasts for about 7 hours.

In theory, after OS 10 Mavericks, Apple claims that it will have greater battery life than Windows. That has been true with my laptop, the Lenovo G560. But I have that running Mountain Lion. I don't know whether it will give greater battery life on laptops Mavericks and up, or whether it will only apply to machines with an Apple made battery. It all depends on what you use it for I guess. I just use my laptop for kext editing and coding and what not and it works with 3 hours of life (great for a 2010 system!).

- Matt

Hey guys, I have a thinkpad yoga and I'm trying to boot from the USB with Unibeast. I have installed Unibeast on the USB by following the Yosemite guide and have pressed the 'laptop support' button as well.

The problem I have now is when I'm at the boot screen and press 'boot' from the USB, the screen just flickers/refreshes once and goes back to the same boot options screen. I keep pressing boot from usb and it just keeps flickering and I never reach the chimera (or whatever its called) boot screen.

I think it's something to do with my bios settings.

If any of you guys can give any help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sam

My specs:
Thinkpad Yoga
Intel i5 4200U processor
4GB Ram

Read compatibility overview: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

Use Clover: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

Also, you will find many of the stickies here useful: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/

Okay, I used KextWizard to install the kexts into the USB drive in Extras and added the extra two lines of code in the text editor. But the screen still just blinks once when I try to boot from the boot list.

Any help guys?

Okay, I used KextWizard to install the kexts into the USB drive in Extras and added the extra two lines of code in the text editor. But the screen still just blinks once when I try to boot from the boot list.

Any help guys?

Read post #7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back