Contribute
Register

Can't boot from hard drive with Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
(i think it just places the files on EFI partition even if you select OS partition).
Makes no sense to install it anywhere else. OEM firmware with the exception of Apple's own cannot read HFS+ partitions. Minimum requirement for UEFI firmware is it is able to read FAT partitions. Vendors can ship firmware with an NTFS driver, but it is not normally used for booting.

I am at a loss here. I have tried the suggestions here and still have some challenges getting this to boot from the drive. I did a complete install, ran Muiltibeast, the did what Going Bald suggested by copying the EFI folder to my desktop from the USB and used EFI Mounter V3 from this site to mount my HDD EFI and replced all the files there with the EFI folder created from the install from the USB.

I took the USB out and rebooted my computer and the Clover default screen came up with an option to boot Sierra from the HDD. So I did this and the Apple logo appears with the status bar. The status bar goes fairly fast until then end, then slows and is stuck with a completed status bar but no OS. Anyone have any suggestions?

MOBO Z270XP-SLI
RAM 32 Gig Crucial
On board Graphics
Samsung 500Gig SSD

My problem is the whole thing worked, then after using it for awhile when rebooting it informed me that it could't find the Mac Kernal.
I then F12ed and chose the El Capitan HD and it then booted.
Anyone any ideas why I have to do it in this way and why suddenly it decides not to recognise the HD at start up

I am at a loss here. I have tried the suggestions here and still have some challenges getting this to boot from the drive. I did a complete install, ran Muiltibeast, the did what Going Bald suggested by copying the EFI folder to my desktop from the USB and used EFI Mounter V3 from this site to mount my HDD EFI and replced all the files there with the EFI folder created from the install from the USB.

I took the USB out and rebooted my computer and the Clover default screen came up with an option to boot Sierra from the HDD. So I did this and the Apple logo appears with the status bar. The status bar goes fairly fast until then end, then slows and is stuck with a completed status bar but no OS. Anyone have any suggestions?

MOBO Z270XP-SLI
RAM 32 Gig Crucial
On board Graphics
Samsung 500Gig SSD

Mine was the same, I just waited and the screen went black, the white load bar came back up and it then went to the sign in screen and I was up and running.
The problem now is that I have to go via F12, UEFIbios, to choose the HD before I can get to the Clover default screen.
It works but why am I having to do this? Any ideas?

Mine was the same, I just waited and the screen went black, the white load bar came back up and it then went to the sign in screen and I was up and running.
The problem now is that I have to go via F12, UEFIbios, to choose the HD before I can get to the Clover default screen.
It works but why am I having to do this? Any ideas?
If you are choosing 'UEFI OS: Whatever' to get to the Clover screen then you need to configure your firmware's EFI boot menu. It may be called something else in the settings. As booting from internal hard drives from the fallback/external path is not supposed to happen in normal usage, you may need to create an entry for /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI using efibootmgr or similar.

If you are choosing 'UEFI OS: Whatever' to get to the Clover screen then you need to configure your firmware's EFI boot menu. It may be called something else in the settings. As booting from internal hard drives from the fallback/external path is not supposed to happen in normal usage, you may need to create an entry for /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI using efibootmgr or similar.

Thanks Vulgo, though I'm not sure what you mean - t's not you're fault, it's just that my knowledge is minimal and people talk in jargon and it's not easy to understand - and creating an 'entry' ?
I'm having a slight problem with sound, i.e., it turns off after 'sleep' - getting coherent info on how to deal with this, at the moment, I'll put up with the inconvenience ;-))

Thanks Vulgo, though I'm not sure what you mean - t's not you're fault, it's just that my knowledge is minimal and people talk in jargon and it's not easy to understand
The 'entries' in the boot menu are properly called 'boot options', and there is a 'boot order'. The options and the order are stored as NVRAM variables. They get chosen over /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI which does not appear in the boot order. e.g. an EFI boot option for Clover would specify a hard drive partition and the path to the file /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI.

As an example this page shows how to start Linux every boot by configuring the EFI boot menu.

I'm having a similar issue except the process wouldn't work under UEFI so I had to go legacy. That being said I need to boot to the USB drive (as a legacy USB drive) and from there I can select my High Sierra drive to start the OS. If I remove the USB key pre-boot I get a black screen and then my HP recovery options . .. which I wish I could just delete. What do I need to do, as a legacy system, to get it to boot directly to the High Sierra drive?

Hi Zveljkovic, I'm on Mojave trying to boot from hardisk with no success. how did you manage to format the EFI on the hardisk as FAT 32? disk utility don't give me this option...

I'm having a similar issue except the process wouldn't work under UEFI so I had to go legacy. That being said I need to boot to the USB drive (as a legacy USB drive) and from there I can select my High Sierra drive to start the OS. If I remove the USB key pre-boot I get a black screen and then my HP recovery options . .. which I wish I could just delete. What do I need to do, as a legacy system, to get it to boot directly to the High Sierra drive?
Install Clover boot loader in Legacy mode. Use the Sourceforge download so it can be installed in root instead of EFI (MultiBeast installs to EFI by default)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back