Contribute
Register

Can't boot after SuperDuper restore, can chimera be recovered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE
CPU
Core i5-3570k @ 4.8ghz
Graphics
GeForce GTX 1050ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!

Forgive me if the answer to this should be obvious, but while I've used Macs for decades, i'm quite new at the Hackintosh scene. I have a hackintosh running 10.9.1, specs below. It's basically based on one of the 2013 Ivy Bridge golden builds, and was installed using the Unibeast+Multibeast tutorial here on this TonyMacx86.

Just before running the 10.9.2 update, I made a full drive clone to a USB drive using SuperDuper!. This is fortunate, as the update froze while 'installing software update' and the OS could never again boot - basically it'd freeze up at the spinning gear logo screen.

I could get to the chimera boot screen when trying to boot to the internal hard drive, and could boot the USB clone without any issues. What I eventually did from here was restore the USB clone of 10.9.1 back to my internal hard drive again using SuperDuper, using the erase and restore mode.

*Note that I erased the internal drive using super duper to restore, while booted from the USB drive. I'm sure this is what broke chimera ultimately

Unfortunately, when the hackintosh attempts to boot, it shows the initial blinking prompt from Chimera, then immediately boots to the second hard drive (running Windows 8). There is no Chimera menu, it just immediately boots the second drive as if no bootloader can be found. Likewise, if I boot to the USB drive, when the chimera screen appears the only options are for my external USB drive and the Windows 8 disk.

Short of reinstalling OS X from scratch, is there a way to recover or reinstall Chimera? Note OS X will boot off an external drive and it should still exist on the internal drive.

Thanks for your help!
-Dan

Specs:
-OS X 10.9.1, standard unibeast + multibeast install (I'm not sure the exact version numbers - install was done in August 2013)
-Intel i5-3570k, Gigabyte H77a-wifi, 16GB Corsair Dominator memory
-Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost (Using an older iMac as Monitor via target display(port) mode :D)
-1 TB WD Caviar Black (OS X), 1 TB WD RED (Win 8)
-Cooler Master 120 mini-ITX case

Why not boot to your Unibeast drive, select your OS X drive and then reinstall Chimera?

Thanks for the fast response! I tried that earlier, when I would boot the unibeast USB stick it would not detect Macintosh HD as an option - only Windows and the SuperDuper clone drive if it was attached.

While rebooting to the clone drive, I discovered the actual issue - somehow the restore operation was interrupted. So, my internal Macintosh HD didn't have a full OS X installation, let alone a full clone!

I restored again this morning, and was able to boot via the unibeast stick to Macintosh HD successfully. It did actually require me to reinstall Chimera before it would boot from the drive, but it does work at this point.

Now the issue is why the 10.9.2 update breaks OS X (I tried a second time, same kernel panic result)... I'll have to do some more research :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back