Contribute
Register

Can't add additional internal HDD. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hack Pro
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GeForce GT 240
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So there is a long version...and a short version...

The short version is that I cannot add 2 internal HDD that were previously working fine with my 10.6.8 build. If I boot into OSX and connect the drives (internally), one of them shows up and can be accessed but disappears on reboot. The other cannot be detected unless I take it out of the tower and dock it in my 3.5 HDD USB dock. These are the same drives that have always been in my system until a kext issue I fixed (see long version).

The long version is I was running a working build (minus sleep mode) before installing this sleep enabler kext http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/ind...cks/63-some-fixes-for-your-macos-1058-install I installed this kext using kext helper b7, rebooted and immediately got a kernel panic upon boot into OSX. I pulled the HDD out of the tower, loaded the drive as an external on a 10.7 iMac and deleted the kext, placed the drive back in my hackintosh and now can no longer get any other drive to be recognized. In fact, with any other drive connected to my vacant sata connectors OSX won't load at all. It just spins while "loading operating system". The only way I can get back into OSX is to boot up with ONLY the drive containing OSX connected.

I don't have a problem reformatting the drives, I can back them up...just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and found a solution before I start tinkering blind.

Thanks.

UPDATE 11.9.11

I got the computer up and running the HDD installed and recognized by OSX once the system starts up however...I have to go into BIOS and reset the HD boot order each time the machine restarts.

What am I doing wrong in BIOS that the HD boot priority changes and must be adjusted to the HD with OS on it each time I boot up?

That's because you trying to boot from a HD and have no bootloader installed on it. Change the boot priority setting in Bios or hit the F12 key on the Bios Postscreen to bring up the Boot menu for selecting a boot drive and/or install chameleon/chimera on the drive which shows you "loading operating system"

karacho said:
Change the boot priority setting in Bios or hit the F12 key on the Bios Postscreen to bring up the Boot menu for selecting a boot drive and/or install chameleon/chimera on the drive which shows you "loading operating system"

Thanks for the reply.

My HDD with OSX has boot priority over the other internal drives. Are you suggesting I install chameleon/chimera on the other internal drives too? That wasn't necessary when they were working and recognized by OSX before.

GTFO Science said:
karacho said:
Change the boot priority setting in Bios or hit the F12 key on the Bios Postscreen to bring up the Boot menu for selecting a boot drive and/or install chameleon/chimera on the drive which shows you "loading operating system"

Thanks for the reply.

My HDD with OSX has boot priority over the other internal drives.
Hmm...may be, but that hang on "loading operating system" sounds to me like no bootloader is installed or incorrect installed.
Are you suggesting I install chameleon/chimera on the other internal drives too? That wasn't necessary when they were working and recognized by OSX before.
No, above i wrote this...
  • and/or install chameleon/chimera on the drive which shows you "loading operating system"

And please control your Bios settings again for HD boot order...sometimes funny things happened. Maybe the boot order in your Bios isn't correct for some reasons

what´s the status of your issue? I do have the same problem...

karacho said:
GTFO Science said:
karacho said:

Thanks for the reply.

My HDD with OSX has boot priority over the other internal drives.
Hmm...may be, but that hang on "loading operating system" sounds to me like no bootloader is installed or incorrect installed.
Are you suggesting I install chameleon/chimera on the other internal drives too? That wasn't necessary when they were working and recognized by OSX before.
No, above i wrote this...
  • and/or install chameleon/chimera on the drive which shows you "loading operating system"

And please control your Bios settings again for HD boot order...sometimes funny things happened. Maybe the boot order in your Bios isn't correct for some reasons

No solution yet.

When I adjust the boot order in bios the OS just spins.

Have you tried removing all the other drives and just connecting your drive with OSX? Doing that got me into my operating system which was a big relief.

What issues are you having?

Did you tried repairing permissions on HDD with your iMac?

No I have not. How do I do that?

Everything Works for me on 10.7.2 incl. iCloud. I have a Gigabyte G33 motherboard and Run the System with EasyDsdt.
If I want to add a Second HDD the System won't Boot. Funny Thing: it Even won't Boot with iBoot in the DVD Drive!

I Need more than One HDD, who can help?
My SATA Connections 0-3 Run on native Mode.

I got the computer up and running the HDD installed and recognized by OSX once the system starts up however...I have to go into BIOS and reset the HD boot order each time the machine restarts.

What am I doing wrong in BIOS that the HD boot priority changes and must be adjusted to the HD with OS on it each time I boot up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back