Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
Core i5-4460
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi,
I bought a new (bigger) SSD and using carbon copy cloner transferred my OS to the new SSD. I made my new SSD the startup disk and I booted from the new SSD. Everything is working great so I wanted to erase my old SSD. When I go to Disk Utility and try to erase the old SSD it says 'Failed to eject “Sierra” because it is currently in use by “Core Sync Helper”.' I figured if I uninstalled the Adobe Creative Cloud I'd be able to unmount the disk. But I can't uninstall CC. So I have a couple questions for you guys:

1. Is there a way to force unmount a disk so I don't have to bother with this Core Sync Helper from Adobe? I tried using the terminal command to unmount my disk and I've attached the output.

2. I am booting from my new SSD called "High Sierra", but are my programs running of the new SSD or the old one? I can't tell, is there a way to be sure I am running the programs from the new SSD?

I really just need to erase all the data from my old SSD and I can't. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Terminal Saved Output.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 315
Thanks for the reply @nobodynose. I tried using sudo got this message:
Unmount of disk1 failed: at least one volume could not be unmounted

I thought maybe if I uninstalled all my adobe applications (or all my applications) on the old drive I'd be able to unmount it. But I uninstalled After Effects by going to my old drive > Applications > After Effects > Uninstall After Effects and after it uninstalled I couldn't open after effects from the new drive. I think my rig is getting mixed up having two SSD's with the same OS. Did I do something wrong by using carbon copy cloner to transfer my OS? Was I supposed to do it another way?

Have you rebooted since switching to booting from the new drive?
Yes quite a few times.

Do you think I should revert back to my old drive and do a fresh install of OS on the new drive (instead of using carbon copy cloner)?

I've transferred my macOS install from one drive to another using CCC more than once, but I haven't run into this particular problem. You might try brute force - do one (or both) of the following:
Manually kill that Adobe process, then remove the files from your old disk (just delete the /Volumes/Sierra/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Sync folder), then reboot and try to unmount again.
Create an entry in /etc/fstab that prevents the old drive from mounting automatically, then reboot and it shouldn't get mounted. An entry like the following should work:

Code:
UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx    /Volumes/OldSierra    hfs    noauto

Get the UUID with "diskutil info disk1s2" (you want the Volume UUID, NOT the Disk/Partition UUID). The "noauto" option is what tells it not to automatically mount at boot time.

I really appreciate your help man! I will try that. But, now I am worried that unmounting the disk will cause issues. I just unplugged my old drive and powered on my computer, and the motherboard screen said "reboot and select a boot drive". I rebooted and opened the boot menu, selected my new drive but it couldn't boot. Is this because the new drive doesn't have clover? Will I not be able to boot if I unmount my old drive?

Shouldn't the new drive have clover installed on it?

Thanks man! Works great now and I was able unmount the disk after killing that process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back