Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X750JB
CPU
Intel Core i7 4700HQ
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600 + GeForce 740m
Hey guys, another particular issue I seem to be running into is setting up dual boot with Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Yosemite is already installed on a GPT hard drive obviously, the only issue is:

Every time I start the Windows 8.1 disk in UEFI mode, and install Windows on the partition/or unallocated space, it gives me this error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

So another way I tried to solve this is booting through the non-UEFI installation of Windows, the same thing happens, only this time I get this error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." same thing with Windows 10, 8 and 7.

I think the reason why Windows can't detect that the disk is in fact GPT is because I'm not booting it through Clover, instead I'm booting it straight from the BIOS. However, every time I try to load it up through Clover, I see these two interesting options that stand out from OS X: "Boot Windows from HD4," which is weird since I don't have Windows installed, and it's there whether or not the DVD is inside; and "Boot Legacy OS from JM1_CCDA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9," which is the DVD. Every time I select either one, this screen shows up. When I press enter on the DVD's weird screen, a black screen is shown and I have to reboot, whereas the other's weird screen returns me to the bootloader when I press enter.

The options I've set in the BIOS seem pretty okay: HDDs are AHCI, CSM is disabled and Fastboot is enabled. I would appreciate any help given.
Thanks, Rameenh

Hey guys, another particular issue I seem to be running into is setting up dual boot with Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Yosemite is already installed on a GPT hard drive obviously, the only issue is:

Every time I start the Windows 8.1 disk in UEFI mode, and install Windows on the partition/or unallocated space, it gives me this error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

It is because you added at least one Windows partition while in OS X Disk Utility and Disk Utility created a hybrid GPT/MBR drive. Windows will see only the MBR side of the hybrid. Don't create Windows partitions within OS X Disk Utility.

It is because you added at least one Windows partition while in OS X Disk Utility and Disk Utility created a hybrid GPT/MBR drive. Windows will see only the MBR side of the hybrid. Don't create Windows partitions within OS X Disk Utility.

Thanks, sorry I had no idea. I've heard that there are ways to convert GPT/MBR back to GPT without data loss, is that feasible? If not, could I install Windows that supports a GPT/MBR partition table? I find it weird that terminal within Mac OS X reads the drive as "GUID_Partition_Scheme". Again, sorry, I'll remember that for the future.

Thanks, sorry I had no idea. I've heard that there are ways to convert GPT/MBR back to GPT without data loss, is that feasible? If not, could I install Windows that supports a GPT/MBR partition table? I find it weird that terminal within Mac OS X reads the drive as "GUID_Partition_Scheme". Again, sorry, I'll remember that for the future.

I'm just guessing, but maybe OS X will remove the hybrid if you remove all Windows partitions.

You can also use gdisk on Linux.

OS X will show GPT in diskutil, but fdisk will also show you MBR... It is a hybrid.

I'm just guessing, but maybe OS X will remove the hybrid if you remove all Windows partitions.

You can also use gdisk on Linux.

OS X will show GPT in diskutil, but fdisk will also show you MBR... It is a hybrid.

I had the same issue - found that deleting the partition created for the Windows side in OSX allowed Windows installer to see GUID disk and install UEFI

I had the same issue - found that deleting the partition created for the Windows side in OSX allowed Windows installer to see GUID disk and install UEFI

Same here. I found that was not possible to leave unallocated space using DISK UTILITY GUI so I used from command line:

diskutil resizeVolume disk1s2 70GB

disk1s2 was my os x installation partition. After that I was able to create the partition and install normally from windows installation.

To summarize:

1. Install OS X normally
2. Use diskutil from command line to resize the installation partition and leave unallocated space
3. Boot from usb of windows installation using UEFI
4. You should be able to create a partition to install windows on the unallocated space

Hi there, windows 10 cant be installed on unallocated space after following your suggestion. Any tip on how to move on?

Hi there, windows 10 cant be installed on unallocated space after following your suggestion. Any tip on how to move on?
You might try formatting the drive with 2 partitions, one for OS X and one for Windows, both using GUID, HFS+J.

Then in the Windows installer, deleting the partition with the Windows installer and selecting the resulting free space for Windows installation.
If that does not work, select the partition created for Windows and format it NTFS with the Windows installer and select the NTFS partition to install Windows.

Thank you so much for the reply. I gave up and went for El Capitan on one disk and WIN & Linux on a 2nd one. Somehow I managed to setup everything good on the same drive and Clover offered me boot options for all of them but I wanted to re-do it so I can documented the process. This time it didn't work and its really funny that I have Capitan working but Windows make my life hard lol Again thank you, really appreciate ur time.

You have to use GPARTED or some other partition software to create the NTFS partition, the windows 8/10 installer will complain otherwise. It also seems to help if you create a UEFI windows installer usb key (with Rufus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back