Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
my RYZENPRO 5900X (with Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P) has Big Sur installed and the case has two hot-swappable 3,5" cages with disks connected to the internal SATA port. This is the model I have: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/hsb100satbk
I reached a post in this forum yesterday where it is described the procedure to patch the system for allowing SATA disk hot-plugging. In particular, I followed what @miliuco wrote in the post #60, in other hands: I added to my EFI config.plist file the following entries in the Kernel > Patch section:

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 22.21.43.png

I only did that, but I don't know if I had to load some drivers or kexts along with it.

I rebooted with hot-swap cages fully opened, then I closed a door and the I heard the disk spinning, but Disk Utility did not show any disk added.
Furthermore, the desktop has no disk icon shown as well.

Anyone could help me on the matter?
Thank you.

Last edited:
@Nighthawk99
The external orange icons patch is not required for this task.
Do you have hot-plug enabled in the BIOS on the SATA ports of the 2 external enclosures?
I have 2 cages like yours working on macOS since High Sierra to Ventura. Requisites are: the BIOS setup an the config.plist patch.

Hello.
User manual of my motherboard states this:

SATA Configuration
& SATA Mode
Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Chipset or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.
RAID Enables RAID for the SATA controller.
AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface
(AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug. (Default)

I enabled AHCI, so I guess to be ready to go.

Gigabyte usually have a separate option for enabling Hot-Plug on each individual SATA port.

If you navigate down through the SATA Configuration menu, are there any sub-menu items related to Hot-Plug. Like the ones shown in this screenshot from an older Gigabyte Bios.

200408170643.png

Maybe on Intel chipset motherboard, not on my own.

My AMD Hackintosh systems have this option, but they are not recent builds. Pair of Asus and Gigabyte AM3+ boards both have Hot-Plug options in the AHCI section of the Bios.

My AMD Hackintosh systems have this option, but they are not recent builds. Pair of Asus and Gigabyte AM3+ boards both have Hot-Plug options in the AHCI section of the Bios.
"Recent" AMD motherboards (I am talking about Ryzen) may not have these options.

I have a Gigabyte AX370-Gaming 5 motherboard (X370 chipset supporting 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen) and it does not have any Hot Plug options in the SATA section. I have always wondered why. Intel motherboards of the same time (Z270 / Z370) that I have all have these options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back