Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, this is my first post here but I've been using this site's guides and software for a few years now. I successfully used a Mavericks/Yosemite Haswell machine without issue, but now I have decided to build a Snow Leopard machine and it is not going well.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 with a 2770K i7 and a Radeon 6870. I install from the Snow Leopard retail disc and everything is fine as long as I am booting from the iBoot disc. Once I configure with Multibeast, it's over... my machine can no longer get past the Apple logo. I see a quick flash of it and then the computer reboots. The weird thing is, once I get to this point, iBoot no longer works... I have to do a full reinstall. If I try iBoot again to get back in, it just locks up at the spinning wheel.

Even more frustrating and bizarre is I was actually able to get this machine working the first time I set it up... I got all the way through the 10.6.8 update, but I did not use a DSDT and it wasn't 100% right, so I decided to start over. Since then I have even tried to go back and duplicate how I set it up the first time but the results are the same no matter what I do now... reboot loop on Apple logo or locking up with iBoot.

I have tried every combination and every guide I can find. Nothing changes. I have the latest non-UEFI bios (F10) and have configured it correctly, and used the matching DSDT (and with no DSDT)... it's all the same.

I'm about to give up and try starting over with a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 instead, which I happen to also have... but I'd really rather use this motherboard.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have searched up and down this site and I can't find anything to help me.

Thanks.

See http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-get-iboot-functionality-from.html

These are the MultiBeast settings that are identical to what iBoot has, so if you are able to install with iBoot+SL DVD and then boot with iBoot to get to Chimera screen and boot to desktop repeatedly, then these settings will work to allow you to boot from the HDD. You might want to use the proper ALC driver in MB instead of VoodooHDA kext. Also, I am not sure SL has support for the 6870. I do know the HD5770 did not get support until 10.6.7 because I have one and had that problem.

Thank you for that very helpful piece of information. I tried my GA-EX58-UD5 and it also didn't work, but what you said about the video card prompted me to buy a GeForce 210. It booted right up. I assume my GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 will do the same. I think the reason why it worked the first time is that I must have blasted right through to the 10.6.8 update before rebooting, but on the reinstalls I wasn't doing that because various guides suggested rebooting before that point. Thank you!

Well, I was wrong about the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3... although my video card was surely causing me trouble, I was not able to get it working even with the GT210. At this point I am calling it motherboard failure, because it is doing other strange things, like rebooting when I go into the BIOS. So anyway, at least the alternate video card allowed me to get my GA-EX58-UD5 working.

Well, I was wrong about the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3... although my video card was surely causing me trouble, I was not able to get it working even with the GT210. At this point I am calling it motherboard failure, because it is doing other strange things, like rebooting when I go into the BIOS. So anyway, at least the alternate video card allowed me to get my GA-EX58-UD5 working.
Suggest for the EX58A you take a look at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/ for editing your DSDT to get full native power management,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back