Graphics
NVIDIA 480
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone, my first post here. (And thanks to all the nice how-tos and walkthroughs in this website!)

I built a hackintosh the other day with an Intel i7-3770K processor, a Gigabythe GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard, 16GB of Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM and a Samsung SSD. I have an NVIDIA GTX480 GPU which I'd like to put on it.

I first tried leaving the GPU out and just use the integrated intel 4000 graphics. Needless to say, the installation worked out without a hitch. I installed the Mac OS 10.8.2 using unibeast first and then used multibeast to install sound and network drivers, fakeSMD and the boot loader. The system works out fine.

Then I tried putting the GTX480 in, but it wouldn't boot. At some point in the boot process the screen turns off and nothing happens. Using the -v option for verbose won't help either, since at some point the screen suddenly turns off.

I tried reinstalling the Mac OS with the GTX in use. The same symptoms would show with the unibeast installer. Next I tried fiddling with some options. I managed to get it to the installation screen using the following options and install mountain lion:

-v -f PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 EnableGraphics=Yes busratio=33

And installed Mac OS X. Upon the first boot after install , I used the same arguments and logged all the way into Mac OS too, with the NVIDIA 480 successfully running.

BUT I can't reboot the machine and boot again. At some point in the process it will turn off the monitor and just hang. And unfortunately neither of the previous options seem to help the situation.
If I take the GTX480 out, the system boots just fine with the intel 4000 graphics. Also if in the bios I set the internal intel 4000 graphics as the default video option and leave the GTX480 in the PCI-E slot, it still boots up fine too and will identify the NVIDIA card as well, but it is not activated (kext not loaded).

What should I do now? Any help? I've spent more than 2 days on this, and still no dough! :banghead:

By the way, the graphics card actually comes from NVIDIA, it is not an EVGA, Gigabyte, etc.

P.S. I have not done it systematically yet, but I tried EnableGraphics with on and off, safe mode with -x.

Oh man that sucks. I can't really give you a solution, but I have a Zotac GTX 480 and it booted instantly after installing and updating ML. I simply added the kext in multibeast and voila.

Again I don't know how to help you, but maybe it helps knowing it works for other people and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel...

GraphicsEnabler=Yes I think is the option you need. Replaced my 5770 with a ASUS ENGTX480 and booted fine for me but I already had the GraphicsEnabler=Yes from the 5770. Haven't done any graphic benchmarking but performance is noticeably slower than Windows so I'm going to try the lastest Nvidia MAC drivers when I get home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back