Contribute
Register

Cannot enter boot flags after f5 with iBoot Haswell & does ext. DVD affect this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock 90-MXGVH0-A0AAYZ
CPU
Intel i7-4790
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 480
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this so of course I'm stuck. I've been working from this guide. I have checked the UEFI settings and tried iBoot Haswell, Legacy and 3.0.3. All are giving me the same result. "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system"

When I try to input boot flags, nothing happens. Pressing the down arrow to bring up common boot flags, help etc. shows that all common options apart from Boot are shaded/inactive (see below).

With iBoot Haswell highlighted I can enter boot flags and all options are highlighted/available:
P1050162.JPG

With Snow Leopard highlighted no boot flags can be entered and Verbose, Ignore Caches & Single User are shaded/unavailable:
P1050163.JPG

This persists after pressing f5. Pressing enter yields the same result ("An operating system wasn't found")

The potential causes that I can think of (based on zero experience) are:

- The i7-4790 is a Haswell refresh and is not supported by iBoot Haswell
- I am trying to install SL from an external DVD drive (iBoot is on CD)
- The Motherboard isn't supported: ASRock Z97A (PN: 90-MXGVH0-A0AAYZ)
- The RX 480 may be causing issues (?) Note that the display is running off of the motherboard because there is no signal from the RX 480 so far.

I don't know if any of the above are correct. Can someone please tell me if there's something really obvious that I'm missing?

I understand that getting a copy of a newer version of OSX from someone with a Mac would probably be an easier solution. Unfortunately that isn't practical at the moment. I can probably do that at some stage, but I would like to try to get this going sooner if possible and then update the OS myself.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help provided.

Edit: I won't be able to do anything else to this machine until after Dec 28, so no rush. Happy holidays to those who observe them.

hit the space bar a couple of times - this brings up a text box and you can enter and boot-arg you want.

Ok I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back