Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
CPU
i5-4690
Graphics
GTX 760
I've tried and retried this so many times and I'm at my wits end. I've followed the guide to create a Mojave bootable USB drive. I'm using a 16 GB stick. It's a brand new one since I couldn't get my previous stick to work either. I have a series 9 motherboard so I tried the UEFI options first. The stick was successfully created with Unibeast. I reboot and hold down F12 for the boot menu. My USB stick is there but there's no UEFI option. I select it anyways and I just boot into my old Yosemite drive. If I unplug the Yosemite drive and select the USB stick I get the "Reboot and select proper boot device" message. I have had some luck in creating a Sierra bootable disk by using the Legacy option in Unibeast. I tried that with Mojave. The USB stick was successfully created. But I try to boot and though the stick appears in the boot menu, selecting it gives me the same error. Let me know what additional information I can provide to get to the bottom of this. I didn't have nearly this level of problems when I first setup my Hackintosh with Yosemite.

[edit 2019-01-21]

Hi, having just run into same problem here's how I fixed.

There's some juju about USB drive formatting that is keeping the bootloader from finding what it needs EFI-wise.

I've worked around by wiping the partition table on the USB stick using Terminal and the dd command, as follows, then reformatting the drive using Disk Utility and recreating the installer.

Insert USB stick in working Mac...

FINDER:
<Eject "Install macOS Mojave"> or whatever the USB stick is named.

TERMINAL:
% diskutil list
/dev/disk11 (external, physical): <<< YOU WANT THIS INFO - DOUBLE CHECK IT'S THE CORRECT DRIVE
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER​
0: GUID_partition_scheme *7.9 GB disk11 [e.g., "Lexar Jumpdrive Media"]
[...partition list cont...]​

!!! WARNING DO NOT GET THIS NEXT STEP WRONG OR
!!! YOU MAY ERASE THE WRONG DRIVE

% sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk11 <<<< INFO FROM ABOVE

Wait 1 sec and press <control-C> to interrupt dd.

Just zeroing the first few blocks will do to clobber the partition table.
(If dd reports "Device busy" make sure you've got the right device and you ejected it via Finder or DU)

DISK UTILITY:
Reformat drive per Guide.

UNIBEAST:
Re-run selecting EFI.

Now a "UEFI" version of USB drive will show up in BIOS boot menu and should boot

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for the instructions. I tried it and it didn't solve the problem though. However, I have an internal module in my computer which connects to the USB2 pins on the motherboard which gives me SD card slot and CF slot. I unplugged it, rebooted and now I finally have a UEFI: USB option to boot off from. I was able to boot off it finally, but ran into other issues preventing me from installing. But I'm one step closer at least. I'm kicking myself that it was so easy and obvious to fix.

[edit 2019-01-21]

Hi, having just run into same problem here's how I fixed.

There's some juju about USB drive formatting that is keeping the bootloader from finding what it needs EFI-wise.

I've worked around by wiping the partition table on the USB stick using Terminal and the dd command, as follows, then reformatting the drive using Disk Utility and recreating the installer.

Insert USB stick in working Mac...

FINDER:
<Eject "Install macOS Mojave"> or whatever the USB stick is named.

TERMINAL:
% diskutil list
/dev/disk11 (external, physical): <<< YOU WANT THIS INFO - DOUBLE CHECK IT'S THE CORRECT DRIVE
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER​
0: GUID_partition_scheme *7.9 GB disk11 [e.g., "Lexar Jumpdrive Media"]
[...partition list cont...]​

!!! WARNING DO NOT GET THIS NEXT STEP WRONG OR
!!! YOU MAY ERASE THE WRONG DRIVE

% sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk11 <<<< INFO FROM ABOVE

Wait 1 sec and press <control-C> to interrupt dd.

Just zeroing the first few blocks will do to clobber the partition table.
(If dd reports "Device busy" make sure you've got the right device and you ejected it via Finder or DU)

DISK UTILITY:
Reformat drive per Guide.

UNIBEAST:
Re-run selecting EFI.

Now a "UEFI" version of USB drive will show up in BIOS boot menu and should boot

HTH
If I eject the usb, the message is "Operation not permitted"
If I mount the usb, the message is "Resource Busy"
Could you help please.
Thanks

Having similar issues, but going backwards. Was able to get to black screen apple logo, then the "white circle of no" appears. I've tried BIOS setup options from other builds on this site, still can't get farther. Tried installing earlier versions of OSX (yes with the earlier versions of UniBeast), only to have it hang at the grey screen apple logo, tried the -x, -v, that gave me lines showing SOMETHING was happening only for screen to go black and hang. Had a HELL of a time getting secure boot disabled after deleting security keys, no luck there. Now I can't even get to the chimera screen.
ASUS ROG Maximus Formula XI
Intel I-9 9900k (unlocked)

If I eject the usb, the message is "Operation not permitted"
If I mount the usb, the message is "Resource Busy"
Could you help please.
Thanks

You need to do the following: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
where disk2 is my usb drive I want to unmount. Then recheck with diskutil list that it's still there and the same name before running the sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk2

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back