Contribute
Register

Cannot boot when USB ports or ethernet is plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the thread is still up I thought I would update on my progress:
I got hackintool working and used it to create a USBPorts.kext. Most usb ports were recognized and work well, but if I plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 3+ port, then it isn't recognized at all. At this point, I'm willing to live with that limitation.
The bigger issue is that it takes me 2 or 3 tries to boot. Ill try to boot and then I get a kernel panic. Then I do it again and same thing. Then I try the exact same thing but this time it boots into macos properly. If someone has any ideas as to why this might be I would be thankful if you shared them.

I'm attaching a couple boot logs.
Kexts are the same as above but usbinjectall has been replaced by usbports.kext

Attachments

• opencore-2023-01-28-154730.txt
    256 KB · Views: 15
  • opencore-2023-01-28-154911.txt
    256 KB · Views: 16
Comments below based on comparison between your uploaded OC folder and the OpenCore Install Guide (for Comet Lake):

OC
1. ACPI: The guide says you need SSDT-PLUG.aml. It's missing.
1a. You can replace both SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml with SSDT-EC-USBX.aml (from the OpenCore-0.8.8-xx/Docs/AcpiSamples/Binaries) if you wish.
1b. OpenCore guide makes no reference to using SSDT-USB-Reset.aml. You might want to delete that, and/or disable it in your config.plist.
2. backup.config.plist could be moved out of the OC folder or just deleted.

config.plist
3. Kernel/Patch/10: Should this be enabled? OC Guide says only if at Big Sur 11.3 or earlier.

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 10.15.41 AM.jpg

That's all I could see.

Last edited:
Comments below based on comparison between your uploaded OC folder and the OpenCore Install Guide (for Comet Lake):

OC
1. ACPI: The guide says you need SSDT-PLUG.aml. It's missing.
1a. You can replace both SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml with SSDT-EC-USBX.aml (from the OpenCore-0.8.8-xx/Docs/AcpiSamples/Binaries) if you wish.
1b. OpenCore guide makes no reference to using SSDT-USB-Reset.aml. You might want to delete that, and/or disable it in your config.plist.
2. backup.config.plist could be moved out of the OC folder or just deleted.

config.plist
3. Kernel/Patch/10: Should this be enabled? OC Guide says only if at Big Sur 11.3 or earlier.

View attachment 562774

That's all I could see.

Hi, thank you for your help. I followed all of your suggestions but the issue persists.
I took a picture of the kernel panic and found some lines about the nvme drive being a problem... It's a samsung 970 evo plus 1tb and I installed nvmefix.kext for it. At the top you can see some lines that say
nx_mount : 1462: disk5 reloading after unclean unmount ..... etc. This always appears and it always gets stuck there for a minute. Then it either panics, like in the picture attached, or sometimes it goes through and boots me into macos. Any idea what I could do?

Attachments

• Kernel Panic.jpg
    Kernel Panic.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Santiago, Could you please re-upload your current EFI folder after you made those suggested changes? Thanks! And what version of Monterey are you booting into? (I'm using 12.6.3.)

Santiago, Could you please re-upload your current EFI folder after you made those suggested changes? Thanks! And what version of Monterey are you booting into? (I'm using 12.6.3.)
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is the new OC folder

Attachments

• OC.zip
    25.2 MB · Views: 15
I do not see anything wrong with your EFI folder, with the exception that in your config.plist/Kernel/Add, the listing for Lilu.kext should be moved to the top (ie. at "0" instead of "2").

Did you try disabling NVmeFix.kext in your config.plist/Kernel/Add/3 to see if that makes a difference?

Beyond that, the only thing I can suggest is replacing your EFI folder with one made from Open Core version 0.8.8, with its updated files, and using the latest versions of the kexts.

First of all, thank you @wstrohm for all your help. In the end, the changes you told me to make to my SSDT folder inadvertently fixed the problem I was having with sleep (sometimes the machine would shut down after a few minutes of inactivity).

I finally fixed the issues, and for the sake of the record I'll detail how I solved it.
When it comes to the NVMe drive, which would spit out panic errors and not allow me to boot most of the time, I simply fixed it by updating the drive's firmware. It turns out the Samsung 970 EVO Plus had known issues with macOS and Samsung rolled out a firmware update to address that specific issue. I used Samsung Magician in Windows 11 to update that, and have had no troubles booting since.

When it comes to my USB ports, I was having issues where USB 2.0 devices were not working in USB 3.0 ports, even with UsbInjectAll and the Xhcilimit quirk (meant to remove the 15 port limit) turned on. I found another forum thread with a solution. It turns out when xhciportlimit is enabled, USB 3.0 ports only work with USB 3.0 devices; on the other hand, when xhciportlimit is disabled, USB 3.0 ports only work with USB 2.0 devices. It was a simple case of mapping the usb2.0 ports, then enabling xhciportlimit rebooting and mapping the USB 3.0 ports.

I do not see anything wrong with your EFI folder, with the exception that in your config.plist/Kernel/Add, the listing for Lilu.kext should be moved to the top (ie. at "0" instead of "2").

Did you try disabling NVmeFix.kext in your config.plist/Kernel/Add/3 to see if that makes a difference?

Beyond that, the only thing I can suggest is replacing your EFI folder with one made from Open Core version 0.8.8, with its updated files, and using the latest versions of the kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back