Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Folks
i have a question:is it possible now to use the New 6th gen Skylake Processors.they didnt work recently because there were no Drivers in OSX for Them.but now the New iMacs got released and they have the New Processors because of that the Drivers got implemented into OSX.does anyone know if Skylake Processors work with OSX now or if Not When they are going to work with OSX?

thx to every replies:D

Last edited:
Can you use the New skylake Processors in macintoshs?

Hi Folks
i have a question:is it possible now to use the New 6th gen Skylake Processors.they didnt work recently because there were no Drivers in OSX for Them.but now the New iMacs got released and they have the New Processors because of that the Drivers got implemented into OSX.does anyone know if Skylake Processors work with OSX now or if Not When they are going to work with OSX?

thx to every replies:D

I can assure you that there are folks working very hard on getting Skylake working; however there are still several obstacles. The first is that iMacs using Skylake processors have been announced, but they are not yet shipping, so we don't know what version of OS X will actually be shipping on them (whether it's 10.11.1 or 10.11.0 with a special update, etc.). The biggest problem (besides unsupported CPU models) appears to be unimplemented support in El Capitan (so far) for the built-in SATA in the Skylake chipset. And then there's the fact that Apple's iMacs use DDR3 RAM, not DDR4 like what is used in most Skylake motherboards shipped so far.

So the answers to your questions are "no (not yet)" and "nobody knows"?

Thanks for your reply
well then i'll build my Hackintosh with a haswell i7 4970k;)

I can assure you that there are folks working very hard on getting Skylake working

I would re-read that part. So it really depends. If you need a hackintosh to use right now, sure you can go with a Haswell. But if you can use Windows/Linux for a month or two, you might find substantial progress on Skylake in that time frame. So if you're buying for the future, why not look at Skylake?

Edit: though personally, I'd like to see a lower-power 30-50W desktop chip. That's the promise, right? More performance on less power. Hopefully that will arrive "soon" too. :)

It looks like the Skylake iMacs have a special OS X version 15a4310 which differs from the current 10.11 version. Hopefully public 10.11.1 will have full support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back