Contribute
Register

Can you turn Mac drive into Hackintosh drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A Xpower Titanium
CPU
Intel 6700K
Graphics
GTX780 (SLI)
Hello,

My 2010 Unibody MacBook died a while ago, but the hard drive is still intact.
I was wondering if it's possible to get the drive bootable on my Windows PC without losing my old settings, files, etc.
The drive was running OS X Yosemite if I remember correctly.

Hello,

My 2010 Unibody MacBook died a while ago, but the hard drive is still intact.
I was wondering if it's possible to get the drive bootable on my Windows PC without losing my old settings, files, etc.
The drive was running OS X Yosemite if I remember correctly.
I'm rather new here so take my advice as a grain of salt, but you could use a program to read the files on the OS X drive in windows.(idk what they are called but some googling would bring a free one up) you could copy your files over then erase the OS X drive and install seria and then copy your files back to that drive. Idk about your settings though

If you had access to another mac (or working hackintosh) you could either create a unibeast drive or a usb with clover installed to use to boot into the drive
Or simply connect your drive to another mac (or hack) and install clover to it.
Then you would be able to boot the drive inside a PC.
Assuming the PC has compatible components to do so.

I pulled the SSD from my Mac Pro and I'm using it in my hackintosh. Here's what I did.

1. Pull SSD from Mac Pro.
2. Plugged it in to hackintosh.
3. Booted from UniBeast USB flash drive.
4. Re-installed OS X on SSD without re-formatting drive.
5. Ran MultiBeast to install Clover and kexts on SSD.

All the data from my old Mac Pro was transferred to the hackintosh.

I pulled the SSD from my Mac Pro and I'm using it in my hackintosh. Here's what I did.

1. Pull SSD from Mac Pro.
2. Plugged it in to hackintosh.
3. Booted from UniBeast USB flash drive.
4. Re-installed OS X on SSD without re-formatting drive.
5. Ran MultiBeast to install Clover and kexts on SSD.

All the data from my old Mac Pro was transferred to the hackintosh.
Did not really need to do step 4 - 1,2,3 and 5 would have worked OK.

Can i make a Unibeast Usb using Windows PC?
My Imac died

First post (registered to ask this question). Not sure if I'm supposed to create a new post or just continue here so I'll try this first.

I have an old MBP from 2008. It's getting so slow I am finally thinking of updating it a bit. I only use it for work and nothing too graphic intense so I don't need anything fancy or crazy powerful. Was looking at used MBP or Mac Minis, but seems like Hackintosh could potentially be a very affordable way to get great value.

I know nothing of Hackintosh (a complete newbie) so I'm confused by all the terms thrown around in the videos I've watched and articles I've read.

The current 2008 MBP was upgraded a bit with an SSD not too long ago and so I was hoping, if it's at all possible, to use that in a Hackintosh setup. If I can get an affordable computer and just swap my current SSD with Mac OS installed, would that work? I'm guessing it won't, but thought I'd ask.

If that won't work, is there a cheap Hackintosh setup that you'd recommend that would be equivalent of something like a 2015 MBP's spec?

Thank you kindly in advance for any thoughts or insights.

Watched this video:
and was thinking of inserting my SSD into Intel BOXNUC8i5BEK1 Bean Canyon NUC as suggested in the video.
But then realized after some research that it's not the same type of SSD I have (CT500MX500SSD1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back