Contribute
Register

Can you run Raid 0 on dual m.2 nvme ssd's on a Hackintosh now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardware M.2 SSD raid only possible with Apple Embedded controller such as the one that the iMac Pro uses but these are soldered on to the motherboard and use a Apple proprietary version of the M.2 interface specification.

The only way you'll get two standard M.2 SSD's working in a Raid is to use Apple's Software Raid. Whilst the Apple's Software Raid is good its not perfect and it can and does crash causing data loss. Its rare but it does happen.

You would get a much more stable and secure system by using one 1TB Samsung EVO 960, the read and write speeds are fantastic (I have one in both my laptop and desktop systems) and more than fast enough to edit 4K video with no read/write lag.

If the 960 Pro is not fast enough for you You could try the new Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD's which has around 30% faster read and write speeds compared to the 960 Pro's.

Cheers
Jay

Hardware M.2 SSD raid only possible with Apple Embedded controller such as the one that the iMac Pro uses but these are soldered on to the motherboard and use a Apple proprietary version of the M.2 interface specification.

The only way you'll get two standard M.2 SSD's working in a Raid is to use Apple's Software Raid. Whilst the Apple's Software Raid is good its not perfect and it can and does crash causing data loss. Its rare but it does happen.

You would get a much more stable and secure system by using one 1TB Samsung EVO 960, the read and write speeds are fantastic (I have one in both my laptop and desktop systems) and more than fast enough to edit 4K video with no read/write lag.

If the 960 Pro is not fast enough for you You could try the new Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD's which has around 30% faster read and write speeds compared to the 960 Pro's.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay, thank you for gave me know the information :thumbup:
What do you think about this information? I doubt about it https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sapphire-rx580-2tb-raid0.250260/#post-1800004
In our country, @Samsung 970 Pro is very expensive . So to save money I plan to use @Samsung 960 Evo 250G X 2 (i'm have it) . of course if that's possible

I think it's possible with Amfeltec card...
http://barefeats.com/hard210.html

Hi Itachi, glad you are here . That's how I think of you when I see you reply to the comment. lol :p
I enjoyed you through the tutorial posts, impressed by your avatar Itachi (y) .
Can you tell me more about this method raid ?

Hi Itachi, glad you are here . That's how I think of you when I see you reply to the comment. lol :p
I enjoyed you through the tutorial posts, impressed by your avatar Itachi (y) .
Can you tell me more about this method raid ?

It's actually Neji Hyuga. lol

Anyway, the Amfeltec appears to be a hardware RAID card for M.2 SSDs. I don't know much about it other than the fact that it was used by some Mac Pro owners. My guess is that it should be bootable on modern hack too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back