Contribute
Register

Can you run Raid 0 on dual m.2 nvme ssd's on a Hackintosh now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97i Gaming Mini-ITX
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
GX970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After a very generous tax return I though i would upgrade my "old" late 2014 Hackintosh to a bigger beast

The main build will be based on a 7700k processor running on a Gigabyte - GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 Motherboard

I plan to use 2 x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 drives

Though the motherboard isn't set in stone so if there are better suggestions let me know

Anyway will this work in a Hackntosh build? And if so, any gotcha's to watch out for? I am planning on adding a couple of extra Sata drives for media storage as well

Cheers!

Anyone? Surprised no one has tried or attempted this type of configuration

After a very generous tax return I though i would upgrade my "old" late 2014 Hackintosh to a bigger beast

The main build will be based on a 7700k processor running on a Gigabyte - GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 Motherboard

Though the motherboard isn't set in stone so if there are better suggestions let me know

Anyway will this work in a Hackntosh build? And if so, any gotcha's to watch out for? I am planning on adding a couple of extra Sata drives for media storage as well

Cheers!

Apple "software RAID": Yes.
BIOS/Intel/motherboard RAID: No.

Cheers!

I have a RAID0 on my Server which runs macOS Server but thats in Software RAID because not all the Storage Drives are the Same Model. Hardware RAID requires same model and make disks. You may find that Booting from two SSDs in Software RAID may act funny with Clover. But there has been people thats done it with AHCI SSDs.

I have a RAID0 on my Server which runs macOS Server but thats in Software RAID because not all the Storage Drives are the Same Model. Hardware RAID requires same model and make disks. You may find that Booting from two SSDs in Software RAID may act funny with Clover. But there has been people thats done it with AHCI SSDs.

Thanks for the reply. As RehabMan has mentioned i don't think hardware raid is possible at all :(

And and don't think there is any greater source of knowledge on this matter.

I found out that Samsung have a 1Tb version of the 960 Evo so will probably go done that path instead with my next build

Thanks for the reply. As RehabMan has mentioned i don't think hardware raid is possible at all :(

And and don't think there is any greater source of knowledge on this matter.

I found out that Samsung have a 1Tb version of the 960 Evo so will probably go done that path instead with my next build

Why would you want to do Hardware RAID?

Why would you want to do Hardware RAID?

Speed! :)

plus at the time i thought nvme drives topped out at 500gig but i need 1Tb on my main drive

plus at the time i thought nvme drives topped out at 500gig but i need 1Tb on my main drive

I don't think Hardware RAID is supported in OS X/macOS anyway better to say with Software RAID.

Did you end up doing the RAID over M.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back