Motherboard
HP 6300 Pro CMT
CPU
i5 3470
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
I was wondering if it was possible to Hackintosh a HP z420?

I am looking at a unit with the following Specs:

HP z420
Intel Xeon E5-1607 v2 $c 2.00GHz processor
Comes with 4GB RAM (but I will max this up to 32GB or even more)
Nvidia Quadro K2000
300Gb SATA HDD (will swap this out a 250GB SSD)

Do all the included components work or do you need to swap them out. Like will this graphics card work, or do I need to look for another Nvidia one?

And I saw another hack guide where for the z600 you can't create a USB boot installer, but instead you need to create the boot installer on a SATA HD, and boot up fro SATA not USB to do the install.

I was looking at an HP Elite 8300, which has quite an easy installer, but just wanted to check how much more complex a z420 install would be. Im keen for the faster processor and more max RAM amount.

Thank in advance for any advice

You don't want to go with a 4 core 2.0 GHz xeon CPU if you want any kind of speed/performance for single threaded tasks. When you use a Xeon and ECC ram instead of an i7 the Hackintosh is going to be much more like a 2013 Mac Pro (6,1) than an iMac hardware wise. We all know that they used AMD graphics exclusively in the 6,1, not Quadros. So the install is significantly more complicated. The audio is not compatible and it's much more of a headache to do the install. If you want speed and good graphics take a look at the Optiplex 9010 MT which lets you use up to a GTX 1070 (mini) or an AMD RX 570 GPU. You simply replace the power supply to a basic 500W bronze or better. Everything works pretty much OOB including onboard audio and DP audio. You can also use a relatively inexpensive 32GB DDR3 ram kit too. It's about half the price of DDR4 right now.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...he-dell-optiplex-7010-9010-desktop-pc.251736/ Using an ancient Quadro which will probably have support dropped by next year is not he way to go in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back