Contribute
Register

Can The Sandy Bridge CustoMacs Upgrade To Ivy Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just as the title states. I will probably get a lower-end i5 and then upgrade to a new Ivy Bridge processor next year.

VeganHipster said:
Just as the title states. I will probably get a lower-end i5 and then upgrade to a new Ivy Bridge processor next year.

Gigabyte has announced that a number of their Sandy Bridge motherboards will be compatible with Ivy Bridge : http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/ne ... x?nid=1048

You need to upgrade to the latest BIOS available from Gigabyte to gain this capability.

Yeah, I think its going to come down to bios support from the vendors more than anything.

I know the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 will support Ivy Bridge as the F8 bios already has support for it. Just need to get a DSDT added for it.

So far, what has leaked out from a couple sources is that Ivy Bridge is NOT going to be much faster (if at all) on the CPU side, however the onboard graphics will be 2x faster. So for folks who don't mind the onboard graphics it should be a nice bump, however if you use a discrete video card it isn't really going to matter much.

I guess the main question is if the Ivy Bridge graphics will work in OS X the same as the HD3000 does? Suppose it depends on if Apple plans to use them in their future machine. I imagine they will.

thgill said:
So far, what has leaked out from a couple sources is that Ivy Bridge is NOT going to be much faster (if at all) on the CPU side, however the onboard graphics will be 2x faster. So for folks who don't mind the onboard graphics it should be a nice bump, however if you use a discrete video card it isn't really going to matter much.

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that ivy bridge will run cooler, which means greater overclocking potential. Stock speeds might not be much of a boost, but what about overclocking?

tomhukk said:
I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that ivy bridge will run cooler, which means greater overclocking potential. Stock speeds might not be much of a boost, but what about overclocking?

Most likely will run cooler since its die is shrunk down to 22nm. Perhaps better OC than Sandy Bridge, but the unlocked K cpu's are already OCing champs so its hard to say if it will OC much more. Should kick ass regardless...especially in laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back