Contribute
Register

Can SuperDuper clone a Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple method :
Mount the EFI partition on the original drive and copy the /EFI folder to your desktop.
Eject the EFI partition.
Mount the EFI partition of the clone drive and copy the /EFI folder from your desktop to the EFI partition.
Shutdown.
Disconnect the original drive.
Boot the clone to test.

You may mount volumes with EFI Mounter v3 or another app of your choosing.

Thanks P1LGRIM, will defiantly give this a shot thanks.

Simple method :
Mount the EFI partition on the original drive and copy the /EFI folder to your desktop.
Eject the EFI partition.
Mount the EFI partition of the clone drive and copy the /EFI folder from your desktop to the EFI partition.
Shutdown.
Disconnect the original drive.
Boot the clone to test.

You may mount volumes with EFI Mounter v3 or another app of your choosing.

Thanks P1LGRIM, tried this tonight but didn't seem to work........though i had not disconnected the original Drive!!!!!!
IS this a really important" would have to go in case" step as i thought i could just point to boot drive from my bios...or even choose when clover 3 second time out option kicks in from booting from original drive!!! hope it makes sense

Thanks P1LGRIM, tried this tonight but didn't seem to work........though i had not disconnected the original Drive!!!!!!
The instructions only work when you follow them.

The config.plist contains details for which drive to boot from.
For the purposes of explanation lets call the original drive Drive A and the clone Drive B.
The config.plist on Drive A says boot from Drive A.
After you cloned the original drive you copied the config.plist from Drive A to Drive B.
Now you have two drives with the same config.plist both of which say to boot from Drive A.
If you boot with both drives connected then both config.plist files say boot from Drive A.
If you disconnect Drive A then boot (from Drive B) the config.plist says to boot from Drive A which cannot be found and the boot loader will pause waiting for you to choose which drive to boot from.

You can then leave it like this because it is a backup of your original configuration or you can change the boot drive in the config plist to the name of the clone drive (Drive B).

It is not a true test of the backup if you boot with the original still connected as you cannot be certain from which drive the boot loader is running.

Last edited:
The instructions only work when you follow them.

The config.plist contains details for which drive to boot from.
For the purposes of explanation lets call the original drive Drive A and the clone Drive B.
The config.plist on Drive A says boot from Drive A.
After you cloned the original drive you copied the config.plist from Drive A to Drive B.
Now you have two drives with the same config.plist both of which say to boot from Drive A.
If you boot with both drives connected then both config.plist files say boot from Drive A.
If you disconnect Drive A then boot (from Drive B) the config.plist says to boot from Drive A which cannot be found and the boot loader will pause waiting for you to choose which drive to boot from.

You can then leave it like this because it is a backup of your original configuration or you can change the boot drive in the config plist to the name of the clone drive (Drive B).

It is not a true test of the backup if you boot with the original still connected as you cannot be certain from which drive the boot loader is running.

Wow......This makes a lot more sense than your last post you must of deleted...But i really do appreciate you trying to help me so thank you!!!! I totally get now that i must disconnect my main drive....when wanting to boot from the new copied drive. And promise to do this from here on in, as i can either disconnect all drives and it will understandably select the only Bootable Drive it can see without getting confused!!!!.....or I've noticed i can still boot copied drive from clover... 3 second time out screen, and it will boot with all other Drives connected......."A bit easier but not perfect"

But what i really don't understand is that back in Mountain Lion i did all this duplicating of drives and it all worked perfect Without having to disconnect any drives at ALL...in fact you could just cheekily go into the bios boot screen and tel it which OS X or Windows drive you wanted regardless no problem...

So you see where i come from as in all this was possible without going into the case or anything......This latest Build I've done, it just feels like its all gone a bit backwards and yeah I'm obviously feel a bit frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back