CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, the title speaks for itself but before i buy it i need to know if its upto the task....I had a licence years ago and it had no problem doing snow leopard....

So I'm on El Capitan and downloaded there latest SuperDuper V2.9.1

You can download it and use it for free but it will only do a full backup instead of the smart update you get when you pay for the licence. Which is totally worth it for $29 as it will do it in a fraction of the time.

I just can't get it to copy a drive to then boot from said drive and actually boot...sort of gets half way down the OS X load bar and nothing....no screen ...nothing.

Is Carbon Copy Cloner better for this task....Ive sort of read/come across it reading forums but never actually used it.

Either SuperDuper or CCC will Clone your drive. In my experience it does not always clone boot loader files and I have to install Chimera or Clover to the cloned drive after cloning is complete.
Some claim the paid-for version will also clone the boot loader files, but I have seen complaints that it does not for both apps.

Either SuperDuper or CCC will Clone your drive. In my experience it does not always clone boot loader files and I have to install Chimera or Clover to the cloned drive after cloning is complete.
Some claim the paid-for version will also clone the boot loader files, but I have seen complaints that it does not for both apps.

Hi Going Bald, Im sure i tried to reload boot loader but still would not boot.....I always had success in mountain loin with reinstalling boot loaders after a SD clone...but that was with chimera....This time round i a fresh install El capitan using clover via tonymax86 guide. But now i think of it i used multi beast to load boot loaders on my copied drive, could this be the problem. Should i of used the unibeast to load in the boot loaders again. Hope this makes sense .

Hi Going Bald, Im sure i tried to reload boot loader but still would not boot.....I always had success in mountain loin with reinstalling boot loaders after a SD clone...but that was with chimera....This time round i a fresh install El capitan using clover via tonymax86 guide. But now i think of it i used multi beast to load boot loaders on my copied drive, could this be the problem. Should i of used the unibeast to load in the boot loaders again. Hope this makes sense .
If you tried to install Chimera to boot El Capitan it will not work. You must use Clover as your boot loader with El Capitan.

If you tried to install Chimera to boot El Capitan it will not work. You must use Clover as your boot loader with El Capitan.

Thanks Going Bald, it kind of makes sense now you say it, I was always used to mutibeast but i guess ill have to read up on clover on how to do it.

In my experience it does not always clone boot loader files and I have to install Chimera or Clover to the cloned drive after cloning is complete
Apple's implementation of EFI leaves everything up to Apple hardware or else.

Thanks Going Bald, it kind of makes sense now you say it, I was always used to mutibeast but i guess ill have to read up on clover on how to do it.
The latest MultiBeast installs Clover if you select it.

The latest MultiBeast installs Clover if you select it.

Hi, but i installed el capitan using the clover method so isn't it already installed...At this point is all i want to do is make a super duper cloned drive bootable. I think i was advised that seeing's i used this method then i need to use clover to make it bootable. just not sure how to go about it.

Hi, but i installed el capitan using the clover method so isn't it already installed...At this point is all i want to do is make a super duper cloned drive bootable. I think i was advised that seeing's i used this method then i need to use clover to make it bootable. just not sure how to go about it.
Simple method :
Mount the EFI partition on the original drive and copy the /EFI folder to your desktop.
Eject the EFI partition.
Mount the EFI partition of the clone drive and copy the /EFI folder from your desktop to the EFI partition.
Shutdown.
Disconnect the original drive.
Boot the clone to test.

You may mount volumes with EFI Mounter v3 or another app of your choosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back