Graphics
GeForce GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey there folks. I'm an absolute beginner at this stuff. I built my Hack with Yosemite and it works flawlessly. Now I'm trying to upgrade (ideally to High Sierra, but started with El Cap), and I'm completely lost.

I followed all the directions to install El Cap, but not the only way to boot into it is to use the -x flag. Any other way it gives me a prohibited symbol.

My NVIDIA Driver is giving me a black screen (so I use the nv_disable=1)

And my rear USBs aren't working.

I hear all of these things are fairly common, but I have no idea how to fix them. Most of the advice I see involved loading something into a mounted EFI folder, but I can't mount it in safe mode.

Please help me! I'm a decently fast learner, but I am a beginner, so if you're mentioning folders or commands, please be as specific as you can so I can hopefully properly follow.

Thank you so much!!

Gigabyte z97x - ud7 - th
Intel Core i7
32 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
GeForce 970

I included a few photos of the random verbose mode errors I got. It's all greek to me.

Attachments

• 2018-03-29 08.40.41.jpg
    2018-03-29 08.40.41.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
  • 2018-03-29 08.41.37.jpg
    2018-03-29 08.41.37.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • 2018-03-29 08.42.25.jpg
    2018-03-29 08.42.25.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 173
  • 2018-03-29 08.44.21.jpg
    2018-03-29 08.44.21.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
I gave that a shot and no luck :/ still throws the prohibited sign.

The trick I've been finding is that all the advice given mentions putting something in the EFI folder, but I can't find or mount the EFI partition in Safe Mode. Is there a workaround or something? I've been reading through the list on the "Big List of Solutions" for El Cap and have had no luck with anything there :/

Also if it helps, When I first installed it, El Cap seemed to work ok, so I tried to install the NVIDIA web driver. There wasn't one that matched my El Cap build, so I had to update the El Cap build to 15G19009 and install the appropriate driver. I've seen that El Cap can struggle NVIDIA Drivers too. Could that be the cause? Even though I'm using the nv_disable boot flag?

Is there any way to jump past all this and just fresh install Sierra or something too? Even with a fresh El Cap USB Boot drive, it's not letting me in (even using the USB as the primary boot drive rather than the SSD Boot Drive.)

Here's the bootlog I generated in the Clover Configurator too

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    24.7 KB · Views: 195
Also if it helps, When I first installed it, El Cap seemed to work ok, so I tried to install the NVIDIA web driver. There wasn't one that matched my El Cap build, so I had to update the El Cap build to 15G19009 and install the appropriate driver. I've seen that El Cap can struggle NVIDIA Drivers too. Could that be the cause? Even though I'm using the nv_disable boot flag?

Is there any way to jump past all this and just fresh install Sierra or something too? Even with a fresh El Cap USB Boot drive, it's not letting me in (even using the USB as the primary boot drive rather than the SSD Boot Drive.)
Try selecting your installer usb from the boot manager when booting. If that doesn't work, try using different usb port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back