Here are the main components to the rig:
* GIGABYTE-X79-UD3
* E5-1650
*E5-1650
*Kingston sata 3 SSD 256G,LITEON T10 NVME SSD 240G

Motherboard
CPU E5-1650
GPU E5-1650

I successfully installed 10.13 beta 7 on my desktop when I only used SATA 3 SSD. If I plugged in NVME SSD, It can not enter into installation. Does anyone have any opinion with this problem?

3D76D495-B144-46D4-85A1-5ED070CF6562-1.png

Here are the main components to the rig:
* GIGABYTE-X79-UD3
* E5-1650
*E5-1650
*Kingston sata 3 SSD 256G,LITEON T10 NVME SSD 240G

Motherboard
CPU E5-1650
GPU E5-1650

I successfully installed 10.13 beta 7 on my desktop when I only used SATA 3 SSD. If I plugged in NVME SSD, It can not enter into installation. Does anyone have any opinion with this problem?

View attachment 276627

Don't bother with NVMeGeneric.kext. It has really never worked right as a boot drive, and development on it has stopped.

Don't bother with NVMeGeneric.kext. It has really never worked right as a boot drive, and development on it has stopped.
Hi @RehabMan, I'm having this issue (plextor m8pe 256 nvme) and I'm hoping you'll see this and have a minute to comment. I appreciate the help you've given me in the past on getting this nvme up and running like a champ.

On Sierra, I created SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml using Windows to determine the ACPI path, and put it in clover/ACPI/patched. I created HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_*.kext with --spoof and put it in clover/kexts/Other. I added a rename _DSM to XDSM patch in config.plist, and because it's a Plextor NVMe, I added a bit override under Kernel and Kext Patches. I've been booting off this drive for months, all is good.

I install High Sierra beta to another drive, an SSD (and in case it matters, format it as APFS and include apfs.efi in clover/drivers64UEFI). The problem is, HS can't see the NVMe. I installed clover to the HS SSD (it was upgraded from Sierra and it still has an EFI partition so for my own sanity I moved the install to the EFI partition). Initially I removed all the NVMe stuff: the ssdt aml, the Hackr kext, and the config.plist patches. Boot into HS and it doesn't see the NVMe. So I put it all back, and it does see the NVMe!

Any thoughts on why I still need all this stuff in the HS clover install to see the NVMe? If I boot HS with all the NVMe stuff removed, kextstat reports that IONVMEFamily.kext is loading, and I thought the issue that all that patching solves is to not load IONVMEFamily. But of course in HS we want to load it, and it's loading. I see no reference to the NVMe drive in Disk Utility, `diskutil list`, or System Report (I didn't look in IOReg).

Maybe the bottom line is many NVMes are natively supported but some (Plextor) are not, in HS?

Hi @RehabMan, I'm having this issue (plextor m8pe 256 nvme) and I'm hoping you'll see this and have a minute to comment. I appreciate the help you've given me in the past on getting this nvme up and running like a champ.

On Sierra, I created SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml using Windows to determine the ACPI path, and put it in clover/ACPI/patched. I created HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_*.kext with --spoof and put it in clover/kexts/Other. I added a rename _DSM to XDSM patch in config.plist, and because it's a Plextor NVMe, I added a bit override under Kernel and Kext Patches. I've been booting off this drive for months, all is good.

I install High Sierra beta to another drive, an SSD (and in case it matters, format it as APFS and include apfs.efi in clover/drivers64UEFI). The problem is, HS can't see the NVMe. I installed clover to the HS SSD (it was upgraded from Sierra and it still has an EFI partition so for my own sanity I moved the install to the EFI partition). Initially I removed all the NVMe stuff: the ssdt aml, the Hackr kext, and the config.plist patches. Boot into HS and it doesn't see the NVMe. So I put it all back, and it does see the NVMe!

Any thoughts on why I still need all this stuff in the HS clover install to see the NVMe? If I boot HS with all the NVMe stuff removed, kextstat reports that IONVMEFamily.kext is loading, and I thought the issue that all that patching solves is to not load IONVMEFamily. But of course in HS we want to load it, and it's loading. I see no reference to the NVMe drive in Disk Utility, `diskutil list`, or System Report (I didn't look in IOReg).

Maybe the bottom line is many NVMes are natively supported but some (Plextor) are not, in HS?

High Sierra doesn't need the patches for 512 byte NVMe as it is now native.
But it will still need the patch for Plextor drives.
If you want to use native IONVMeFamily (with Plextor patch), and still have the class-code spoof in place for boot into Sierra, use HackrNVMeFamilyInjector.kext on your High Sierra partition.
Read patch-nvme github README for more info.

Thanks, Rehabman! I added the patches that I added on sierra 10.12, then It works for my platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back