Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
Intel i5 4690k
Graphics
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060
Hello Guys,

i did my second attempt of installing macOS on my PC two days ago. Following the Mojave guide, I started by setting up a bootable Stick via Unibeast. After that I loaded the Default UEFI settings of my GigaByte Z97 HD3 MB and only disabled VT-d afterwards. Unlike on my first attempt, I did not get stuck while installing, and it seemed to work. After the installation finished I got an error stating that my "drive space" was too low (I tried to install it on an empty 250GB SSD for it so the error was a bug). Anyways, I thought I might just try again. Now the Problem is: I can not boot from my USB anymore. Things I tried yet:
-Create the USB with "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app...." + Clover.
-Tried several different USB hubs.
-Tried if I can create and boot a USB Stick with some Linux distro (that worked).
-Tried several other USB sticks (no succes).

One other thing which i find somewhat weird is that, even though I completely erased my SSD, it still shows 2 options to boot macOS (see picture) in my boot-options. When trying to boot into one of those I end up in Ubuntu tho.

Any ideas?

My system is:
CPU: i5 4670k
MB: gigabyte z97 hd3
GPU: asus gtx 1060

Attachments

• IMG_20190201_140104.jpg
    IMG_20190201_140104.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I'm a bit of newbie myself, but if I may offer some suggestions.

1. Did you use Disk Utility to format the empty SSD in APFS before you tried installing? If you didn't MacOS installer may not recognize that the SSD has the drive space you think it does.

2. The fact that you are getting booting options in the BIOS for drives that were previously erased is typical. My BIOS does that too. For some reason it can remember the drive you once used and still show it up. If you clear your CMOS it will go away. However, if you are still tinkering I would not clear your CMOS since you will lose all your BIOS settings and have to start all over.

Thanks for your answer.
I formated it while installing. If I am ever able to boot my USB Stick again, I will do it beforhand ;)
I actually cleared my CMOS yesterday (putting out the Mobo battery for 10 seconds), but it still shows the options..

Hello Guys,

i did my second attempt of installing macOS on my PC two days ago. Following the Mojave guide, I started by setting up a bootable Stick via Unibeast. After that I loaded the Default UEFI settings of my GigaByte Z97 HD3 MB and only disabled VT-d afterwards. Unlike on my first attempt, I did not get stuck while installing, and it seemed to work. After the installation finished I got an error stating that my "drive space" was too low (I tried to install it on an empty 250GB SSD for it so the error was a bug). Anyways, I thought I might just try again. Now the Problem is: I can not boot from my USB anymore. Things I tried yet:
-Create the USB with "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app...." + Clover.
-Tried if I can create and boot a USB Stick with some Linux distro (that worked).

One other thing which i find somewhat weird is that, even though I completely erased my SSD, it still shows 2 options to boot macOS (see picture) in my boot-options. When trying to boot into one of those I end up in Ubuntu tho.

Any ideas?

My system is:
CPU: i5 4670k
MB: gigabyte z97 hd3
GPU: asus gtx 1060

Now the Problem is: I can not boot from my USB anymore
  • That is a very vague information.
  • Without knowing ALL the components of what happens when you try to boot that Macos Mojave USB Installer disk, no one can form a working hypothesis for failure to boot with a macOS USB Installer disk.
  • The devil may be in the details.
    • Was the USB flash disk Erased in Disk Utility after making sure the whole disk was selected and NOT the Volume using View> [√]Show All Devices
    • Was the USB Flash disk Erased in GUID +HFS+J before running Terminal command to install Mojave and Clover in two steps?
    • Was the Mojave USB Installer disk created to boot in UEFI or Legacy Mode?
    • Was the "Install macOS Mojave" from App Store in Applications Folder a full-file as shown by its sha1 Checksum matching Apple Published value or at the minimum by its file size?
    • Did you verify the contents of /EFI/CLOVER/driverrs64UEFI and /CLOVER/kexts/Other folders and ALL the SECTIONS of /CLOVER/ config.plist before booting with that disk to make sure it has all the required files and configurations to successfully boot that disk?
    • Was the properly created macOS Mojave USB Installer Disk seen in BIOS Boot Options as UEFI or Legacy Disk?
    • Was the macOS Mojave USB Installer Disk, the First Boot Device in BIOS Boot Option Priorities?
    • What BIOS USB Controller Options are ENABLED?
    • What Graphics Related BIOS Options are chosen for the Boot?
    • Was macOS Mojave USB Installer Disk seen in Clover Boot Manager (CBM)Screen?
    • Did you boot the macOS Mojave USB Installer Disk with dart=0 -v boot flags?
    • What did the Verbose Boot Screen show?
    • Where is the CLOVER Folder (zipped) from the Mojave USB Installer Disk's EFI to check its ability to navigate the disk from BIOS screen to macOS Utilities Screen?
Things I tried yet:
This becomes irrelevant unless we know what caused the boot failure in the original disk. These are trial and error with no factual basis for the choice.

Edited to add : Based solely on the uploaded Image, if I am betting, I would say, the CLOVER/driversUEFI folder lacks some important files .
This is just a guess.
Best is to get all the details I have raised before formulating a troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back