Contribute
Register

Can I use the Thunderbolt display with GA-Z77X-UP5 TH but use Nvidia GTX 670?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much Solidww, now I know that I need to patch the system (OSX) to get it work. I will buy 660Ti instead of 670. Since it is too Kepler card, it wouldn't be problem right?
Anyway, at least we know its only a software issue. At least windows can do it right.

Windows and OSX, both do it well. Just OSX requires a little know how to get it working right.
GTX660Ti, is a great card. I would recommend the Gigabyte one as it worked great when I had it.
I hope Apple makes Thunderbolt in a MacPro soon. Then, the code will be on the OS level and injections will be less of an issue for the end user. :)

Windows and OSX, both do it well. Just OSX requires a little know how to get it working right.
GTX660Ti, is a great card. I would recommend the Gigabyte one as it worked great when I had it.
I hope Apple makes Thunderbolt in a MacPro soon. Then, the code will be on the OS level and injections will be less of an issue for the end user. :)

I completely agree :)
Well, I haven't order my Thunderbolt Display, I'm just testing the new components. I set primary graphics to IGFX from bios. Both HD4000 and GTX 660 Ti work perfectly but when I connect my monitor to motherboard's DVI socket, CUDA works but openGL renderer is still HD4000. If I set PEG (PCIE is primary but connection through motherboard's DVI) in BIOS, I get really weird graphics. I can't even operate the system. Do you have any idea?

I'm planning to buy a Thunderbolt Display with exactly the same components. There are plenty videos on YouTube and they show that HD4000 will run the monitor UNLESS more power is needed.
There are? Could you please link to one? Maybe my Youtube searching skills aren't up to scratch.

As I know from those reviews, a graphics cars with display port will run the TB display since thunderbolt port uses display port to get the power from dedicated GPU.
This is contrary to my experience with trying to connect TB displays to mDP Apple hardware.

Is there a reason you wouldn't instead get the known-compatible 27" Cinema Display? Really the only difference is the absence of extra Ethernet/FW800 ports. Or a display from a different manufacturer if you're not wedded to the horrible glossiness of the Apple displays?

TB displays only work in TB ports not mDP ones and not with any dedicated GFX cards at all in OSX. Even the Virtu software for windows only work for a select few games, not all.

There is no way to use a TB display with anything other then the HD GFX in OSX.

I completely agree :)
Well, I haven't order my Thunderbolt Display, I'm just testing the new components. I set primary graphics to IGFX from bios. Both HD4000 and GTX 660 Ti work perfectly but when I connect my monitor to motherboard's DVI socket, CUDA works but openGL renderer is still HD4000. If I set PEG (PCIE is primary but connection through motherboard's DVI) in BIOS, I get really weird graphics. I can't even operate the system. Do you have any idea?

openCL or openGL? I am thinking your using CS6 PPro and AEffects?

This is contrary to my experience with trying to connect TB displays to mDP Apple hardware.

Is there a reason you wouldn't instead get the known-compatible 27" Cinema Display? Really the only difference is the absence of extra Ethernet/FW800 ports. Or a display from a different manufacturer if you're not wedded to the horrible glossiness of the Apple displays?

I got the 27" Apple Cinema Display because also from what I understand, the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display requires a Thunderbolt port to receive a graphics signal. The only other difference between the displays that's not listed above is the Thunderbolt display has the "FaceTime HD" front facing camera instead of the "iSight" camera on the ACD.

I'm up and running great for several months now with the 27" ACD plugged directly into one of the Mini DisplayPort's on my AMD HD 6870. This setup will also work with one of the NVIDIA GTX 600 series cards that has a DisplayPort output, as long as you use one of these: DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Adapter

Dil83

Thanks for your answers guys, I really appreciate them.

@DBP

I'm sorry, it was my mistake. I didn't know VirtuVMP in details. There is no such a thing as switchable graphics on any system other than Mac, I guess.
Well, I want Thunderbolt Display because it has better camera and I really want(ed) to get this thing work. But I think I will buy Cinema Display. I considered Dell U2711 since it has the same panel but I'm sick of matte and plastic displays. I will work in dark anyway, so glossy screen won't be a problem.

@PJALM

Yes, unfortunately, you are right.

@Dil83

Thank you much, I was thinking about that kind of cable but I was not sure if it will work that way.

@Solidww

Yes AE and PPro. I was talking about OpenGL. CUDA works perfectly but since HD4000 is my primary graphics, AE uses HD for OpenGL. That's my only problem actually. If I could solve this, I would buy Thunderbolt Display because I won't play games or I don't care Cinebench results etc.

By the way, I connected my monitor to DVI on motherboard, I set PEG (PCIE card first) in BIOS and I got this screen in attachments. OS X sees GTX 660 Ti and uses it as primary card even though connection is through motherboard DVI. But as you can see, it's horrible. Screen changes with every move of mouse. Sometimes I got normal screen too. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 12.15.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 12.15.42 AM.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,063
OpenGL will only work from the GFX card your display is connected to, only OpenCL will use all avail. There is no way to redirect OpenGL to a different card at all, OSX don't work that way.

OpenGL will only work from the GFX card your display is connected to, only OpenCL will use all avail. There is no way to redirect OpenGL to a different card at all, OSX don't work that way.

This is very good to know. I thought both platforms worked the same.

szrbrg - If your using a GPU and HD4k, then you will need to do some code injection to get it work correctly. HackbyAlfa, has the code injection listed on their blog and I believe on here. I would Google though as that may be faster since it will direct you to their blog. Luckily, you have a GPU that supports GraphicsEnabler=no. So, you can easily use CUDA off the 660Ti for PPro and AE.

Oh, and your really weird graphics maybe fixed by this code injection btw. Good luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back