Contribute
Register

Can i use System Definition macpro 5,1 on my ivy bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i currently have 3,1 and all is working top notch, dont wanna mess things up but i'd like to have 5,1

does that change anything besides changing the info at "about this mac"?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Guess I should get it to boot reliably first though!

ํSystem definition can be changed to anything except Mac Pro (4,1) and Mac Pro (5,1) system definitions, which cause booting problems.

You may need to remove AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions because these two files are not compatible with it.

Proper system definition may improve your mac speed. You can compare by using Geekbench application.

I accidentally changed my system profile to 5,1 and spent all morning wrestling with boot options trying to get my machine back up to no avail. I finally ran across this article and it worked like a charm.

I just booted in single-user mode (-s) and used Unix commands to mount the hard drive (/sbin/mount - uw /) then worked my way to System/Library/Extensions and used the rm -R command to remove AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. I didn't have to use any special boot options to get back in.

If you need a refresher on Unix commands try this: www.westwind.com/reference/os-x/commandline/files-folders.html

Thanks alcanfane!

You don't need ApplyTydriver...kext but you might want to keep appleGraphicsPower....kext as it may delay your screen come back from sleep. I patched my AGPM insted deleting it. using MacPro 5,1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back