Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,
Just like I stated in my previous post, I am just following the build stuff for customac pro. I am not a hardware guy so I don't know the significance of PSU especially in that build. In the list only one PSU is listed which is the Corsair 650x. I am thinking the higher voltage is just going to draw more power and it will not have any big impact on build. The 750x is cheaper on Amazon and I'll receive it in time to complete my build during Thanksgiving. I did find 650x a bit cheaper on Newegg but that's arriving next Friday which is a long wait.
Thanks.

Yes, you can use the larger rated PSU. The only time you really have problems is if the PSU is too small.
For most builds, especially if you do not plan to install a discrete GPU, a 450-500W PSU is adequate.
Suggest you use New Egg's PSU calculator or the one on the Corsair site to determine just waht your load is and size your PSU to match that.

I am thinking the higher voltage is just going to draw more power and it will not have any big impact on build.

The higher rated (wattage) PSU will not pull any more power from the wall than a lower wattage PSU when you are using the PC for the same tasks. The reason a lower wattage (and voltage) PSU may be better is that it may be more efficient at a certain percentage of load on the PSU. In the end though it won't make a major difference between a 650W or 750W PSU of the same brand and model. If you'll only use 1 graphics card, 650W is plenty. The new GTX 1080 only requires a 500W PSU. That is for a system without the GPU and/or CPU overclocked. OTOH if the 750W RMx PSU costs less there's no reason not to get that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back