Contribute
Register

Can I use GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H to build the "CustoMac Pro"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K
Graphics
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi guys, I'm planning to build a Hachintosh based on the "CustoMac Pro" system, according to the recommended component list, the high-end motherboards are quite expensive for me, so I was wondering if I could use a lower level motherboard like GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H (which is listed for the "CustoMac Budget" )to build up this system? Could you please help me to confirm it?

In my system I will use the i5-3570K, 8G RAM, Asus 650Ti graphic card, one SSD and a 2T HDD, in this case my second question is can I use only a 600W Corsair PSU, because the recommended Corsair 650W PSU could be quite noisy according the reviews online, and a 750W PSU will be a waste in this system I suppose, also the biggest concern about my next computer is, I really want it to be as quiet as possible. So could you give me some advise on this as well? If the 600W PSU will not supply enouph power, can you tell me some alternative choices? Thanks.

The third concern is, if I use Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, can they wake up the Hachitosh when it's asleep? Or the non-wireless device would be more reliable? Or the Hachitosh is not supposed to be asleep at all?

Thank you very much in advance for your generous help. :thumbup:

Hi, i have the DS3H for semi-pro use. The way i selected it was not definitely the budget but the fact that other more expensive boards had more features than what i need. Make your research about every motherboard and you will see what fits better to your needs and if DS3H is adequate go ahead, is a very good board and one of the easiest to run OSX.

As for the PSU a 600W would be ok but i personally would prefer 650W (as i did).

The overall noise of the computer is also for me important. The system i have now (see signature) is one of the quietest i ever had, and when no on very serious stress i can hear almost only the hard drives. The best tip is to keep its interior clean from dust and the best way i can think is to put "filters" at every air intake of your case (i use dyi filters - don't now if you can buy something like that). Also a widely accepted solution is to put the computer tower into another room. Also, you can use the onboard intel HD4000 graphics card (exceptionally good) and avoid added fan noise and heat coming from the discrete gpu.

Sleep mode works as on a real Mac. Every peripherals combination will wake from sleep except some -older- bluetooth adapters if using apple wireless products in ML (magic mouse/trackpad/keyboard). I have the Logitech K750 wireless solar keyboard and works perfectly.

Hope i helped!

Hi, thank you very much for your answers, they are very helpful.

I believe the DS3H is adequate for me. And the DIY filter idea is just wonderful. The Logitech K750 is exactly what I planed to purchase, I will go for it then.

Nice!Note that K750 comes both for pc and mac and although they look similar they have of course different modifier keys, so, if you buy online double check that you order the mac version! Also download the additional keyboard software from logitech its helpful.

Hi my friend, I have built my hackintosh for a couple of days, so far so good. But there is one issue I need to overcome is that the usb 3.0 is not working one this build. It can not detect any storage device when they are plugged in,ni the usb2 nor the usb3, but the usb mouse is working normally on it.
I have learned that if using the Multibeast to enable it, the Sleep function will be gone, is there a way to use it without compromise the Sleep?
As we are using the same mobo, I would like to know the situation on your computer, are you using usb 3 devices? Are they working, if yes, could you please tell me how to enable it?
Thank you very much in advance.

First post here;Looking into building a basic setup....like the specs/price of the GA-Z77-DS3H (~$100CDN)....From what I have seen most builds with this MB are using i5 CPU's but spec wise it will support the i7-3770 (k). Any reason I wouldn't want to use an i7?Did notice that MUS313 has an i7....what benchmarks are you getting out of geekbench if you don't mind me asking.....Seems the i5 units are hitting 10K or so and if i7 units with this MB are hitting 13-14K then perhaps I should bite the bullet and go for the i7 on the initial build.Thanks for the inputI see the geekbench hitting 14000 on MUS313's build....wow...so the only question i guess i have is any reason most people are using i5's with this MB?

I can only speak for myself - But budget / usage dictated my components. I went for the Z77-DS3H as it was a compatible, cheap board with room for expansion. I won't be doing anything in particular that necessitates an i7, so went with the overclockable 3570k. I'm currently running it with the boost set to 4.0GHz so it idles at 1.6 and gets enough power if it needs to on stock cooling. My Geekbench score is 12254 which isn't bad at all! You can get even higher if you use better cooling.

It all boils down to WHY you want to build your hack! Personally, My MacBook was too slow and getting old. I decided to build a hack that I could upgrade as I went, allowed me to do some light gaming and work in photoshop / Illustrator. It's basically done everything I've thrown at it, including some 3D modelling.

What would you like yours for?

EDIT: I just re-ran Geekbench - 12279 now:

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 20.14.36.jpg

is it possible to build a "custoMac Budget" using a i7 instead of the i5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back