Contribute
Register

Can I use a 2011 Sandy Bridge Xeon to build a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel Server Board S1200BTS
CPU
Intel Xeon Processor E3-1220
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030
I am currently using this Xeon build on windows and want to try out if it supports Mac OS. My set setup is a bit here and there with
CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1220(Sandy Bridge)
Mother Board : Intel S1200BTS Server Board
RAM : Crucial 1333 8+8Gig ECC RAM
Graphics Card : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 2GB (Low Profile)
Hard Disk : Seagate Barracuda 500Gig and 650 Watt Seasonic PSU.

The thing is I don't know where to start since I don't have a Mac. Or even if Mac OS is compatible with my components to say the least.
Help me out here to make a Hackintosh out of these parts or point me in the direction where I can get start since there not lot of results when searched under 'Xeon'.

I am currently using this Xeon build on windows and want to try out if it supports Mac OS. My set setup is a bit here and there with
CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1220(Sandy Bridge)
Mother Board : Intel S1200BTS Server Board
RAM : Crucial 1333 8+8Gig ECC RAM
Graphics Card : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 2GB (Low Profile)
Hard Disk : Seagate Barracuda 500Gig and 650 Watt Seasonic PSU.

The thing is I don't know where to start since I don't have a Mac. Or even if Mac OS is compatible with my components to say the least.

Help me out here to make a Hackintosh out of these parts or point me in the direction where I can get start since there not lot of results when searched under 'Xeon'.

Yes, a Sandy Bridge Xeon like the one you have is fully capable of running MacOS. I have 2 systems based on Xeons (A Sandy Bridge Xeon E3-1240 and an Ivy Bridge Xeon E3-1230 v2) and they both run everything from Mavericks to High Sierra.

The problem may be with your motherboard and graphics card. No idea if your Intel server motherboard will be able to run MacOS. And your graphics card is only supported with MacOS Sierra and High Sierra with the Nvidia web drivers, and not the latest Mojave, due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers for Mojave.

However, you will need access to a Mac or working hackintosh to download MacOS Sierra or High Sierra and create a Unibeast USB stick for use on your computer, if you want to try.

he problem may be with your motherboard and graphics card. No idea if your Intel server motherboard will be able to run MacOS. And your graphics card is only supported with MacOS Sierra and High Sierra with the Nvidia web drivers, and not the latest Mojave, due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers for Mojave.

is there any why to test it? I am totally fine with High Sierra or even Sierra for that matters.

However, you will need access to a Mac or working hackintosh to download MacOS Sierra or High Sierra and create a Unibeast USB stick for use on your computer, if you want to try.
That's a bit hard to come by. I don't have either of those. Do you think there is any workaround for that?

Yes, a Sandy Bridge Xeon like the one you have is fully capable of running MacOS. I have 2 systems based on Xeons (A Sandy Bridge Xeon E3-1240 and an Ivy Bridge Xeon E3-1230 v2) and they both run everything from Mavericks to High Sierra.

The problem may be with your motherboard and graphics card. No idea if your Intel server motherboard will be able to run MacOS. And your graphics card is only supported with MacOS Sierra and High Sierra with the Nvidia web drivers, and not the latest Mojave, due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers for Mojave.

Hey brother!
I made it to boot in macOS Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32). But encounter two problems.
1 Unable to boot from HDD. Every time I power on the sys I have to use the installation USB and boot through it.
2 The machine works fine when used in normal window size, but the screen flickers and becomes unusable when windows are maximised. When I checked on the Graphics properties it is only showing 7MB of VRAM, my GT 1030 is not showing up. I installed NVIDIA web drivers 367.15.10.35f01
any solutions to these?

any solutions to these?
install Clover on the EFI partition of your HDD.
Graphics Dependencies :
  1. Native NVRAM support or an emulation of same.
  2. At least 10.12.4.
  3. The correct web drivers matched to the OS build number.
  4. No use of nv_disable=1.
  5. NvidiaWeb=true in config.plist.
  6. May need SIP fully disabled - CsrActiveConfig=0x67.
  7. May need Lilu.kext and WhatEverGreen.kext.

But my mother board has legacy bios. Does that work?
Nvidia web drivers need native NVRAM support or an emulation of it.
If your motherboard does not have native NVRAM support you cannot emulate it in Legacy mode.

Test for NVRAM support.

I have the same processor as yours. But can I install Catalina on the same processor???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back