Contribute
Register

Can I upgrade to El Capitan from Yosemite on Chimera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel i7 4770K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am finally making the upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan, can I go straight from Yosemite 10.10 that is running on Chimera straight to El Capitan 10.11 that uses Clover? Do you think I'll have any problems that will conflict with the existing Chimera bootloader on my system now?

Thanks in advance!

I am finally making the upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan, can I go straight from Yosemite 10.10 that is running on Chimera straight to El Capitan 10.11 that uses Clover? Do you think I'll have any problems that will conflict with the existing Chimera bootloader on my system now?

Thanks in advance!

El Capitan will not boot with Chimera/Chameleon - you need to use Clover.

Suggest you clone your working drive, install Clover, edit the Clover config.plist boot section to match your current boot-args, edit the SMBIOS section to match your SMBIOS.plist currently in /Extra, copy your DSDT to Clover->ACPI->Patched if you are using one, then move your /Extra folder to a backup somewhere (zip it, save the zip in Documents, delete the original folder works well here) to get it out of root.

Boot the clone and upgrade it as if it were a real Mac. If it fails, you still have your original Yosemite drive untouched.

So I didn't read your reply until after I went through the whole Installation Guide here on TonyMac. :silent:

Well, I got as far as booting from the system drive. I backed up my old system with Time Machine, and then went through the process on installing El Capitan as if it was the first install of Mac OS X on my system. So I erased my system drive containing Yosemite, then I went on with the installation process. But after the 11th step every time I reboot, it will begin to start up with the  logo and loading bar then after that it just goes to sleep. That's when I just let it do it's own thing. But even when I go to the boot menu and select my system drive to boot from it still does the same thing. I am only able to boot into El Capitan through my USB.

I've tried reinstalling El Capitan and redoing my DSDTs in MultiBeast, each time erasing my system drive. I've run out of options haha

Any suggestions?

try booting with nv_disable=1 ..after OSX is installed , installed the latest Nvidia web drivers and after that boot with nvda_drv=1

when you boot and clover menu comes up ..go to "Option" and there you will see where to enter flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back