Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Hello,

I have a hackintosh that I built several years ago, it's still on high sierra and I want to upgrade to big sur.

I have an i7 4790K on a Gigabyte motherboard, and currently an Nvidia Geforce GTX 960.

I seem to remember the Nvidia won't work past High Sierra? Do I need a new graphics card, and would the $200 Sapphire Radeon 11265 work for me? Or is there a cheaper on that would work? I don't need a powerful one for gaming or anything.

I know I should be able to figure this out, but my brain hurts. Thank you for the help!!

John

Do I need a new graphics card, and would the $200 Sapphire Radeon 11265 work for me?
HD4600 iGPU will work fine with Big Sur. Use that and don't spend any money.

HD4600 iGPU will work fine with Big Sur. Use that and don't spend any money.
Thank you for the reply. Is that the built in graphics? I'm using 3 screens which is why I bought the Nvidea, the built in graphics only has 2 display outputs.

I'm using 3 screens which is why I bought the nvidea, the built in graphics only has 2 display outputs.
There are used & new RX 560s for sale on Ebay that will work. Very affordable too.

There are used & new RX 560s for sale on Ebay that will work. Very affordable too.
Ah awesome! Maybe this is an obvious question but will anything that says RX560 work? On eBay there are these cards from AMD, Dell, XFX, Gigabyte?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 4.09.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 4.09.42 PM.png
    470.2 KB · Views: 22
Avoid XFX, they’re problematic. The Gigabyte and MSI look legit.

On eBay there are these cards from AMD, Dell, XFX, Gigabyte?
You can be certain the Dell was never running in a mining rig 24/7. The other ones, you don't really know the history. Ask the seller, before buying, if you can return it if it's got issues.

These RX 560s are like new with all components and the original box. Gives you 4GB of Vram if you will be running multiple monitors. New ones on Amazon sell for over 200 USD.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help! I bought the visiontek. I guess I need to update drivers, probably replace a kext because of the switch from nvidea? I will figure it out, but if there’s any easy advice it’s appreciated. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back