Graphics
GTX 980 ti FTW
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
can i upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8.x (whatever is current)?

my grapics card is giving me trouble and i read that i need to upgrade to lion to fix the issues.

i have the following hardware
gigabyte x58-ud5 2.0 FD motherboard
i7 950 processor
EVGA GeForce GTX470 Superclocked graphics card

currently running 10.6.8 and getting KP's and strange behavior in GPU intensive apps (premiere mercury playback) and i can no longer mine bitcoins with the card (i get 4-5 Megahash when i tried it a few months ago i was getting 75-80 mega hashrates.

i cant remember changing anything in the system but i think the 4xx cards are not exactly compatible with snow leopard.

should i start from scratch with a new drive and lion? or should i do a new drive with mountain lion?

i really have not kept up with anything hackintosh since 2010 when i built this machine. its been running flawlessly since then so i never looked to upgrade or change anything.

anyone make any suggestions on what i should do? I have the main OS on a 128ssd and a clone of that on a 500gig HD, i have a time machine backup of the ssd and i have a new 256gb ssd that i could put in here as a fresh OS.

thanks for any suggestions.
t

can i upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8.x (whatever is current)?

my grapics card is giving me trouble and i read that i need to upgrade to lion to fix the issues.

i have the following hardware
gigabyte x58-ud5 2.0 FD motherboard
i7 950 processor
EVGA GeForce GTX470 Superclocked graphics card

currently running 10.6.8 and getting KP's and strange behavior in GPU intensive apps (premiere mercury playback) and i can no longer mine bitcoins with the card (i get 4-5 Megahash when i tried it a few months ago i was getting 75-80 mega hashrates.

i cant remember changing anything in the system but i think the 4xx cards are not exactly compatible with snow leopard.

should i start from scratch with a new drive and lion? or should i do a new drive with mountain lion?

i really have not kept up with anything hackintosh since 2010 when i built this machine. its been running flawlessly since then so i never looked to upgrade or change anything.

anyone make any suggestions on what i should do? I have the main OS on a 128ssd and a clone of that on a 500gig HD, i have a time machine backup of the ssd and i have a new 256gb ssd that i could put in here as a fresh OS.

thanks for any suggestions.
t
IIRC the 4xx "Fermi" cards didn't get supported until Lion and you still needed patch kexts to get them running 100%

If you can get it working at all, you need to update to 10.6.8 to get the app store. Once you update to 10.6.8 you can launch the app store icon from the dock and buy/download ML install app. It will auto launch, just command+q to close it. Before you do anything else, copy the app to your colone drive app folder so you will have it later if you need it. Download UniBeast and create your USB installer or use the xMove version.
I would install clean on the extra SSD were I in your place.

thanks, i have a fully working 10.6.8(other than a glitchy video card that sometimes crashes) when i go to the app store it says

"We could not complete your purchase. OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer"

I am off to google it right now, this computer should be compatible.

thanks, i have a fully working 10.6.8(other than a glitchy video card that sometimes crashes) when i go to the app store it says

"We could not complete your purchase. OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer"

I am off to google it right now, this computer should be compatible.

Are you using the Mac Pro 3.1 or 4.1 system definition?

I was actually using 5,1 not sure what the differences are for that. I picked one in 2010 and just stuck with it.

I cant figure it out.. i have run software update and installed all updates for 10.6.8 but i am still getting the error.

cant seem to find any solutions online.

I will try out a new system def.

thanks for the help

I have tried the mac pro system def. and the imac ones and still cant get it to install.

i checked that 64 bit kernel and extensions were running, all software is up to date and i have a fairly good/ fast/ modern machine.

seems strange.

I got to work. not sure what i did but i re ran multibeast with utilities and dstd and mac pro3.1 checked and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back