Contribute
Register

Can i update to Sierra without any issues from Yosemite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gershy13,
Are you running Yosemite with Chimera or Clover? I managed to update from Yosemite with Chimera to El Capitan with Clover and then on to macOS Sierra without a hiccup. If you are using Chimera then extra steps are needed. If you are running Clover, updating Clover, FakeSMC.kext and ethernet kext should allow you to update like a real Mac.

Hi Gershy13,
Are you running Yosemite with Chimera or Clover? I managed to update from Yosemite with Chimera to El Capitan with Clover and then on to macOS Sierra without a hiccup. If you are using Chimera then extra steps are needed. If you are running Clover, updating Clover, FakeSMC.kext and ethernet kext should allow you to update like a real Mac.
im pretty sure im using chimera. i updated the unibeast way from mavericks. havent touched it since.

Hi Gershy13,
how would i find out if i have chimera or clover? and what are the steps for chimera?

im pretty sure im using chimera. i updated the unibeast way from mavericks. havent touched it since.
Do you have working iMessage/FaceTime/iClould. Simply as you will need get your variables moved over to Clover. You can update directly to macOS Sierra, no need to hop there via El Capitan.
A couple of options :
1. You could install using UniBeast/macOS Sierra over your original install partition as you've done in the past. Please back your data as always.
2. Install Clover/FakeSMC.kext/Ethernet kext (Latest from here https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/kexts.11) to your Installation drive. Make sure you can boot your system with Clover before removing any conflicting kexts from /S/L/E or /L/E/ including your /Extra folder.
See How to Backup and Remove Chimera and any Related Files, tonymacx86 has listed the kexts that can be removed.
Once you are able to boot using Clover, you should be able to download macOS Sierra (back it up first) then run the Install.App. MultiBeast for macOS Sierra has now been released for Post Install.\
Useful links :
Clover Basics and Switching Advice
SIP (System Integrity Protection)

how would i find out if i have chimera or clover? and what are the steps for chimera?
Double click on your System drive and you will see the Extra folder if you have Chimera.

Do you have working iMessage/FaceTime/iClould. Simply as you will need get your variables moved over to Clover. You can update directly to macOS Sierra, no need to hop there via El Capitan.
A couple of options :
1. You could install using UniBeast/macOS Sierra over your original install partition as you've done in the past. Please back your data as always.
2. Install Clover/FakeSMC.kext/Ethernet kext (Latest from here https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/kexts.11) to your Installation drive. Make sure you can boot your system with Clover before removing any conflicting kexts from /S/L/E or /L/E/ including your /Extra folder.
See How to Backup and Remove Chimera and any Related Files, tonymacx86 has listed the kexts that can be removed.
Once you are able to boot using Clover, you should be able to download macOS Sierra (back it up first) then run the Install.App. MultiBeast for macOS Sierra has now been released for Post Install.

Thanks,
No imessage and facetime dont allow me to sign in. and i dont think icloud works either.
yes i have that EXTRA folder.
can i run el capitan/sierra as chimera?

Thanks,
No imessage and facetime dont allow me to sign in. and i dont think icloud works either.
yes i have that EXTRA folder.
can i run el capitan/sierra as chimera?
Since Apple introduced SIP(System Integrity Protected) Chimera hasn't been updated to work with either El Capitan or macOS Sierra. So a requirement of updating to either is updating your boot loader to Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back