Contribute
Register

Can I update to 10.10 form 10.8.5 via software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I'm happily running OSX 10.8.5, but increasingly I'm coming across apps which require 10.9 or even 10.10.

Software Update shows that Yosemite is available to download.... but can I use Software Update on my Hackintosh to update the OS to 10.10? I couldn't find any "Updating Guides" here on the site, only the (excellent) installation guides.

Many thanks,

Steve

Hi,

I'm happily running OSX 10.8.5, but increasingly I'm coming across apps which require 10.9 or even 10.10.

Software Update shows that Yosemite is available to download.... but can I use Software Update on my Hackintosh to update the OS to 10.10? I couldn't find any "Updating Guides" here on the site, only the (excellent) installation guides.

Many thanks,

Steve

You have to download Yosemite, make bootable USB. Then install it.

Note:- Personally i am not recommending an update between two major versions, it may lead to lot of troubles. Fresh install is the best option.

Hi,

Many thanks,

Steve

When you use a hack to run OS X then the software update feature does not work as it does on a real Apple machine - instead to go from Mountain Lion to Yosemite you must follow the 10.10 Installation guide.

10.10 Installation Guide said:
Before You Begin

1. Register here at tonymacx86! If you don't have a user account, create one!
2. Get our latest MultiBeast and UniBeast tools from the downloads section.
3. Purchase a 8GB or larger USB drive.
4. Do a full backup of your system

The following guide is meant as a fresh installation method. To perform an update from OS X Mavericks to OS X Yosemite, saving system settings, data, and apps follow this guide.

Backing up is very important - it is possible to install over the top of an older version of OS X (update) but a full new fresh installation is often easier and better. Please read the last paragraph in the quoted section, including the link to perform an update. Might be worth considering a fresh install on a new SSD or HDD.

Good luck

Good luck

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. :)

In terms of performing a fresh install, the 10.10 guides state "8GB or greater USB Drive" - I assume I'll be fine with my little USB > SATA bridge cable and an external 200GB HDD? In terms of mounting it's always "just worked" in the past, no drivers needed or anything.

Steve

You can actually update through the OS X Yosemite 10.10 installer app if you are using Clover bootloader. Simply select the drive to install 10.10 on and then reboot. Clover should detect "Installer OS X Yosemite" or something similar. It worked for me when I updated from 10.8.5 to 10.9.5 so it might work with 10.10. If you are using Chameleon/Chimera though, you're out of luck. You need to make a USB Flash drive Installer.

Hope this helps

- Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back